306 wing mirror damage - James306
Last night some moron decided to take a swipe/kick at the nearside wing mirror of my 97 Pug 306 Meridian.

The wing mirror itself is intact, though one of the charcol-coloured mounts (washers? - not sure what function it performs) inside the mirror's mechanism (where the mirror is attached to the car) has been broken - meaning I can't reconnect the mirror properly and position it.

Thankfully my 306 Meridian does not have electric wing mirrors, which means I thinking about fixing the problem myself.

Two questions:

- Given that the problem is with a mount that is attached to the car and not the mirror itself, is this something I can fix myself, or will I still need to take the car into a garage?

- IF I have to take it into a garage, will they charge me for a whole new wing mirror?

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.
306 wing mirror damage - Andrew-T
If you take it to a Pgt dealer, they will certainly charge you full whack for the whole thing. Equally, it will be a rare independent that has an alternative source for the thing. My guess is that if you can find a decent specimen at a breaker's (and they are in high demand I should think) it might be worth paying a local body shop to fit it - though I suppose that might have its own 'source'. Is your mirror plain or colour-coded?
Thanks for the response.

It's colour coded, which makes finding a replacement at the breakers all that much trickier.

That said, the only thing that's broken is a charcol coloured flat metal piece which is used for mounting the mirror to the car and adjustment.

Nothing on the loose mirror is broken (ie. glass, casing etc.)
306 wing mirror damage - IanT
Assuming they haven't changed things since my 1993 306 ...

The moveable mirror housing (not the mirror glass) is attached to the fixed part (attached to the door) by a large spring washer. When the mirror is bashed this washer can spring off leaving the mirror housing dangling.

Is this spring washer (about an inch or so diameter) what you are describing? Are you sure it's actually broken, rather than just come off?

If it is intact, it is possible (with some difficulty) to refit it. You need the entire mirror assembly off the car, on a workbench, and use a vice or large clamp to press it back into place.

Ian
There is a spring-like coil inside the door-mounted part, but that is undamaged. What's broken is a charcol grey washer mounted beneath this spring - reckon I might have a crack at fixing it myself before I shell out for a professional to take care of it.

Thanks for your help

James
306 wing mirror damage - IanT
Still assuming we are talking about the same washer ...

The washer holds the "spring-like coil" in place, and is itself retained by fitting into a groove (just like a circlip). The springyness of the washer holds it in the groove against the quite strong pressure exerted by the coil. So the washer needs to be in good condition - not "broken".

Ian
306 wing mirror damage - Steiuk

I have exact same problem, I reversed the Fiances car and caught the wing mirror on the wheelie bin on way out of drive. The wing wirror is perfect. It is the circular mount inside the mount which has snapped.

I picked car up from MOT yesterday, passed as only passengerside. The mechanic luckily had a 306 loaded on his pickup to take to the scrappy. Said he would whip it off for me and fit it when I take car in... My problem is that I do not know if I can then swap the coloured plastic panel.

Did you have any look with finding the mount? If so I will go that route instead.

Cheers

Steiuk

306 wing mirror damage - FP

Replaced mine from e-Bay. The plastic body-matched panel springs off - just lever it off carefully with a screwdriver.