Parking Tickets - Bobbin Threadbare

Apparently there has been a five-fold increase in the number of parking tickets handed out since 2001. A lot of this is because of CCTV use. The number of people successfully contesting them has risen considerably too.

I have never had a ticket; I always look for somewhere sensible to park and I don't mind walking from a car park f***her away. I have also never seen a traffic warden in Preston but I bet they exist!

This does seem to be quite a lucrative money spinner for councils, and the lines, zones, boxes and signs in a city centre can be confusing and contradictory, so it's easy to nab somebody.

Parking Tickets - TeeCee

Aha, a new entry for the swear filter stupidities list there...

Parking Tickets - oldroverboy

I don't mind walking from a car park f***her away.

When it's windy?

Oh dear!! That one is a bit pathetic isn't it?!

Sorry Bobbin, yes it was pathetic, but the swearword spell checker made me smile....

About 10 years ago, I was living near london, and one day i went to park where I thought it was legal just off edgeware town centre, to my surprise, I got a ticket, and the traffic warden said that the signs allowing parking were over ruled by the sign at the entrance to the road which said "controlled zone", anyway I paid, but wrote to Barnet council to inform them that as I had been penalised by their wardens, I would simply cease to shop in Edgeware. As with a lot of other people, have done just that, and that road, in common with a lot of them in the area has lots of closed and boarded up shops.

ANY council who want to make it hard to park won't get me shopping in their town. I don't mind paying to park, but when they resort to "trickery" to issue tickets then it's goodnight from me, I'll go elsewhere! just to make the point, if you go up the road a bit to watford, close to the town centre there is plenty of free parking for up to 2 hours, and also lots and lots of parking at reasonable prices for those who want to be closer.

Now live in carmarthen, where we don't see many wardens, but they are approachable, and only give tickets out when the car is clearly illegally parked, but it's not a moneyspinner for the council as again carmarthen has plenty of parking, free and paying!

And on that subject, it's also a nice place to live!

Sorry Bobbin, yes it was pathetic, but the swearword spell checker made me smile....

I meant the spellchecker was pathetic :-)

On the subject, i haven't been to preston for 35 years.. Is it still there?

On the subject, i haven't been to preston for 35 years.. Is it still there?

Yes! I may get mocked for my choice of city now and then, but it's actually a really nice place to live, and it hasn't got a one way system which makes the centre a nightmare to drive around, unlike Lancaster.

Parking Tickets - unthrottled

It's designed to stop people like us from being coa***. :)

Parking Tickets - concrete

Hello Bobbin, Some time back a man was dismayed to recieve a parking ticket, when it was not clear what the parking regulations were. He took some time and did his research into parking signage regulations and found that where he had parked there were many breaches of the regulations. He found out where the signs had to be positioned, how high from the ground, there size, colour etc etc. When he was summoned to court he was able to get the case thrown out based on the evidence of the councils negligence in not adhering to the law. North Yorkshire County Council were thoroughly embarrassed and had to recind tickets going back a long time. If you can be bothered, why not check out your local parking facilities for legality? It may pay off one day. I often wonder how many people just pay up for a quiet life. Still it might be all quiet on the Preston front!! Cheers Concrete

Parking Tickets - jamie745

Alot of councils purposely only do the minimum amount required to inform motorists of the regulations. Ive been in streets where if you get out of your car and walk north you'll see the sign, if you walk south you wont, but because its there thats 'enough'. Most of it is purely to raise money to spend on ridiculous nonsense, another example of kicking the motorist. Most PCSO's dont know the regulations themselves, ive seen them ticket a car within 3 seconds of it being there, despite the fact it needs to be there for 5 minutes before they're allowed to do it.

Councils have been very keen to remove any parking spaces, shared space schemes etc to force you to park on the moon and walk from there, and you'll probably still get a ticket on the moon too so recently i thought (to keep Avant happy) 'fornicate this!' and set up a little fund to pay for any tickets i get now, so i just leave it on double yellows etc, i park as close as possible to where i want to go. If im going to get charged i might as well get charged for the convenience of parking close rather than for parking miles away.

Parking Tickets - Avant

Sorry - that's just the way the swear filter works: it's thing like this that make me glad that I haven't the patience to work in IT.

In this particular case you can get round it by saying 'further'.

If this site had a proper system you can put something along the lines of an 'allow list' for the swear filter to let through despite having 'swear words' in it. Then it would allow through the three football clubs with profanity in their name. a***nal, Sc***horpe and Manchester f***ing United.

Come on Avant you've got to let that one stand? I just heard a cheer go up for that!

:)

Parking Tickets - Neiltoo

Always wondered about Penistone, and Cockermouth's completely out of the question

Parking Tickets - Neiltoo

I understand that there's a doctor with the website- therapist.com -but it may be apocra....

....not true!

Edited by Neiltoo on 17/08/2011 at 10:32

Parking Tickets - daveyjp

On Sunday we were at an event at Headingley Stadium. It was busy, but we managed to get a space in the car park. There were plenty of cars parked on street, but Mr Warden had visited and had slapped tickets on them all.

Being sad I looked at the signs and sure enough it was 'resident only' parking so it was tough. BUT towards the end of the bays there was another sign with a "2 hour parking, no return within two hours". When you looked at the road markings there as no distinction between the different bays, so all the tickets were probably invalid. I suspect very few of those who got tickets will be bothered going through 8-12 weeks of an appeal process.

Parking Tickets - bananastand

Once went to Robin Hood's Bay and got a three day ticket that ran out at 9 am on the final day. Ran up the hill to find I'd been fined at 9.03 am. As all the tickets expired at the same time some evil genius of a warden had obviously gone up there to wait for the time signal so he could earn his bonus.

I wrote to Scarborough council once I was allowed crayons again and threatened never ever to go there again, and they rescinded the fine.

I've posted this story before but I still like it.

Once i came out of somewhere and went to get back in my car, which i had left two wheels up on the path on double yellows anyway and i saw one of the PSCO's (fake police as i call them) across the road about to ticket a car, no doubt she'd have done mine next, and the woman who owned the car came back to the car and was saying 'i was only in there for two minutes...' etc and she was still intent on doing the ticket, and i know they cannot ticket a moving car and i shouted across the road 'JUST GET IN THE CAR AND DRIVE OFF YOU STUPID COW!!!'

She did. Before the ticket got written. Then i drove off quickly before she came and did mine. Two bits of comission missed out on. Hehehehehhee.

Parking Tickets - bananastand

Ha ha excellent. If you get done by a warden (seriously, who has an "lightbulb moment" and says, "I know, I'll be a traffic warden! That's a canny job like!"???) then shout at him the following:

It must be great being a traffic warden. WELL IT'S BETTER THAN WALKING THE STREETS ALL deleted DAY!!!!