Car Park Bash - F.Quinn

My girlfriend was reversing out of a space in a car park. She checked before reversing and there was nothing around. As she was reversing a people carrier appeared and tried to pass her quickly as she was reversing and the two collided.

Who is at fault here? Is she at fault for reversing or should the other car have stopped because they would see an obstruction ahead of someone doing a maneuvre? There is damage to both cars and I think insurance companies are going to get involved.

Can anyone help with who the blame lies with or is it split liabilty?

Car Park Bash - Dwight Van Driver

From what posted I would say

50 -50

dvd

Car Park Bash - SlidingPillar

I agree.

Reverser should have seen and stopped and overtaker shouldn't have.

Edited by SlidingPillar on 16/08/2011 at 10:10

Car Park Bash - ifithelps

I would put more fault on the girlfriend.

Strictly, the reversing manoueuvre should have been completed without impeding any other driver.

Were I the girlfriend, I would be very meek and co-operative with the other side.

If they get nasty, and are able to interest the police (no mean feat), there could be a charge of due care and attention.

Car Park Bash - Doc

I would put more fault on the girlfriend.

Strictly, the reversing manoueuvre should have been completed without impeding any other driver.

I agree. Think of it as pulling out into a main road from a side road, where clearly you should be aware of traffic and give way.

Car Park Bash - Bilboman

Similar story happened to me some years ago. I was reversing out of a "herringbone" parking slot and, whilst actually stopped, brake lights showing, to have another look round, a driver in an old Passat came charging round the corner and smashed into my tailgate, which subsequently needed replacing. (Absolutely no discernible damage to the other car.)
Within seconds his entire clan had surrounded the car to hassle me and there was, of course, not an independent witness in sight! I filled in my own statement and sent it to the insurance company. The fact that it was dark and raining and that he had no lights or wipers on, and actually had his small daughter sitting on his lap and a further six people in the car cut no ice. It was an insurance loss against me and I'm still angry when I think back.
I always reverse into a parking space and drive out forwards these days, however inconvenient it is. Supermarket parking bays are never designed with the driver in mind and I've never managed to execute a perfect 90 degree turn, but that's life!

Car Park Bash - Archie345

im not sure i had a similar thing happen yesturday i was reversing out of a space i was nearly out when someone tried to go into the space next to me and bashed my drivers side just above the wheel arch there was nothing behind me or to the space i was reversing out off it was just that he couldnt wait to get in the space he said it was his fault but the insurance think if he doesnt admit full resposability to his insurance they might say it was mt fault i dont agree so what do you do