FIAT Panda - New Panda - bintang

Could Panda owners please comment on the following list of drawbacks and add any from their experience? Some are from a while back and derived friom this site and may no longer apply but I want to check them out when I take a test drive (probably opting for the 1.2 Dynamic):

Bouncy ride, bad over bumps

Poor wheel grip

Body roll

Noisy, especially at speed

Steering too light and rather dead, wheel too thick for women

Failures: steering motor and clutch master cylinder. Leaking windscreens

FIAT Panda - New Panda - Collos25

New model out in the UK in weeks old model should have massive discounts

FIAT Panda - New Panda - Avant

I haven't driven one but have read many reports to the effect that the Panda and 500 (built in Poland) have better build quality and reliability than Fiats built in Turin.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the new model will be made in Turin. If so, let's hope that the Polish standards of quality control can be transferred - as, in fairness, Honda, Nissan and Toyota have managed to do in their UK plants.

FIAT Panda - New Panda - bathtub tom

I've had a couple of cars that have been made 'under licence', in as much as they've been badged as a major manufacturer, but been made by a different company.

1. A Fiat 850 that was actually made by SEAT in Spain (all RHDs were, I understand).

2. Mazda 121 made by (and subsequently badged as) KIA Pride.

They were the two most well put together and engineered cars I've ever had.

Perhaps it's something to do with inspections at a guest factory being better than the home?

FIAT Panda - New Panda - pugswhdi

We've had a Panda in the family since 2004 and it is absolutely brilliant!

Bought new it's a 1200cc petrol with air con, roof rails and centre rear seat belt as options.

It's done about 80,000 miles incorporating every type of road and driving style that about 5 regular drivers (including learners). It's even taken 4 adults on a touring holiday in Scotland (with a roof box).

Always manages about 50mpg, utterly reliable, and only recently required more than routine serviving when the radiator was replaced. Fantastic, reliable, good fun little car that frequently gets driven flat out when you can have fun without risking your licence.

Responding to your specific questions;

Bouncy ride, bad over bumps - yes, bouncy but controlled

Poor wheel grip - no, and with winter tyres a 2wd marvel in the snow

Body roll - yes, but only if you drive too fast (we do)

Noisy, especially at speed - in my experience; yes, compared to a large saloon. no, compared to other small cars

Steering too light and rather dead, wheel too thick for women - turn city button off and no

Failures: steering motor and clutch master cylinder. Leaking windscreens - None of the above

If you can get a good deal on the 'old' shape Panda buy one, In our experience you are very unlikely to regret it.

FIAT Panda - New Panda - SteveLee

Agreed the Panda is a cracker, reliable too.

FIAT Panda - New Panda - Dodge

Owned a Panda 1.2 for 2 years. Excellent build quality, nothing went wrong, very comfortable for small car, great driving postion, easy car to drive and park. good dash controls

Bad points:

Fiat dealers usually low rent. Steering wheel is not nicest except in Sport model. Handling could not be described as sporty. Pointless city mode for steering. Women if passengers tend not to like them they roll a bit and have zero image.

On the whole owners love them, I still regret selling mine. But dont pay list obviously they are usually heavily discounted, never pay more than 6K for a new one. They will depreciate especially with new model on the horizon.

All new Pandas are to be build in Italy due the fact of a purpose built factory and product problems in Poland.

FIAT Panda - New Panda - Dodge

Shhurely some mistake!!! The reason Pandas and 500s are so good is that they are built in Poland. Italian factories are of course legendary for their quality control, thats why we all love Alfas.

FIAT Panda - New Panda - SteveLee

Dodge - you beat me to it! The only point of buying a Panda is it is a (usually superb) little Italian car but is screwed together properly - unlike an Italian car.

FIAT Panda - New Panda - MondeoMonkeyMagic

I have only owned my 53 plate (so one of the early cars) 1.2 dynamic for 9 months now and I am really quite chuffed with it (see caveat below about our Colt). Great forum at www.fiatforum.co.uk which lists all the reliability issues you have already covered in your original post plus I would add that droplinks seem to bit the dust probably due to speed humps and my gearbox gaiter trim has split (which also seems to be a common alebit minor comestic issue) however having had a "quality" VW product before it, it hasn't broken down nor suffered any failing off bits unlike the "quality" VW product.

Does 50mpg day in day out, is in Vanilla yellow colour which isn't the best for a 40 year old male for street cred but beggars can't be chosers and the passenger air bag can be turned off for kiddies. Yes it rolls abit, although my 3 years that part of it, but parts are cheap, so is insurance and resale values seem to be alot better than the bigger but strangely more unreliable Punto.

I like the steering wheel thickness personally. The seat do tend to wear badly though (as in threadbare) and discolour easy aswell if not looked after, but the 1242cc FIRE engine has been around for ages and as an added bonus is a non interfearance engine in my 8v (note not the 16v though) so the cambelt will be replaced when I get stuck at the side of the road. The fancy central locking system also seems to have a question mark over it (mine is a manual central locking - as in you use the key to open all the doors). Plus like a Clio I had, there is no door lock on the passenger side which is a bit of a P.I.T.A when asking my little one to stand by his passenger door whilst I run round to the drivers door to unlock them and then back to him to open his door for him. The boot isn't connected to the central locking system either (on the fancy one it is) so you still have to open that manually with the key even if you have open the car.

Ironically my F.I.R.E engine is very hesitant when giving it the beans, this apparently is a characteristic of them (marketing for a fault) and didn't rev as well as a 1997 Punto hire car I had which quite simply flew, so test your Panda before buying (I just dawdle nowadays due to the cost of petrol and having my little boy in the car).

Our other car is a Colt and as much as I like my Panda I don't love it like our 2006 Colt 1.1 Attivo so that maybe an alternative for you (different size and cost I know but worth it). To finish though, there is a 2010 1.2 Panda Eleganza on autotrader right now for £5200 which looks great value given the kit/spec.

Let us know how you get on. All the best

Edited by Avant on 29/08/2011 at 23:40

FIAT Panda - New Panda - Ethan Edwards

Wil the Panda ever get the Twin Air engine?

FIAT Panda - New Panda - KB.

New Panda..........

www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/271822/...a

Previewed in this weeks Autobild along with some other interesting vehicles.

www.autobild.de

FIAT Panda - New Panda - bintang

The long lists of faults on the Fiat forum is off-putting but I had a half-day test drive. The car was fine in town but the motion was a lot too fussy on the open road and it rolled too much on corners. It addition, the driving seat was too narrow for my XL big end. (I pointed these faults out to the sales manager when rejecting the car and he claimed never to have about them before, in spite of having sold "thousands" of thse cars.) I next went to look at the new Kia Picanto but it seemed very tinny by comparison and looked an ugly little brute, with its high waistline. I will try the new Panad when it arrives.

FIAT Panda - New Panda - KB.

I'm guessing you looked at the facelifted Hyundai i10....what did you think?. I had the earlier 1.2 Comfort and sold it but toying with the idea od the newer version.

Just replying to this to see if there's a problem: Bintang says he is having trouble making a new post.

Bintang - try replying to this post and see what happens. You can't edit or add to an existing post after a certain time has elapsed (I'm not sure how long) since your original post. Just do a new post.

Edited by Avant on 08/09/2011 at 22:58

FIAT Panda - New Panda - jamie745

Am i allowed to reply?

Yes of course. Bintang E-mailed us as he seemed to be having a technical problem in posting.

FIAT Panda - New Panda - dogdevon

I've just added something but to respnd to you - the air intake system is a disaster. It allows rain and road spray to enter and wet the air filter. WORSE - if the car is aprked looking uphill, rain water runs down the bonnet and drips into the air intake. If snow or hail collects on the bar that runs across the rad grill, when the accumulation melts - water goes stright into air intake ! Terrible design feature.