ZX TD tuning - Dave Citroen
I have a Citroen ZX TD Volcane (1996, 51K) and would like to optimise its performance, especially to reduce turbo lag -- there is very liitle oomph below about 2000rpm. Does anyone have any experience of tuning these engines (eg by optimising the pump settings)? I've read somewhere that you can increase the turbo boost too, but then again I don't want to drastically shorten the life of the car as I'd like to keep it for a while yet.

I'd be grateful for any recommendations of outfits to do the work, and information on what they did, what it cost and whether it was worth it! I presume there is no need to tell the insurers if there will be no material change to the engine.....

Thanks in advance for any help.
ZX TD tuning - IT
your best bet is buy a magazine eg max power, redline and so on. these will have advertizements from tuning companies. if i owned your car i wouild first put an induction kit on it, then get the E.C.U (engine controll unit) tuned. if u want to take it even further i get performance injectors and fuel pump. the list is endless. there is now a turbo called a HYBRID turbo, whats this u say! it looks like a normal turbo from the outside but inside the bearings are different and the turbine inside has been grounded down which reduces turbo lag. has your car got an inter-cooler, if not it would be good to get one coz it makes the air less dence which allows the turbo to compress more air.

from it
ZX TD tuning - TrevorP
Here is the website of a respected engine tuning company:-

www.pumaracing.co.uk/gentune.htm

"Obviously" there is no need to tell the insurers -

unless maybe you smash it up, they find out, and you find you are not insured.

ZX TD tuning - M.M
DC,

We've been here a few times before but I couldn't easily find past threads with search. Essentially you have a well developed diesel engine that will last for 200K and get close to 50mpg. The fact that its performance is so strong anyway is to its credit.

A genuine increase in engine performance would cost more than buying another faster car.

The lag below 2000 rpm is far less than the earlier 1.7TD, and much better in the ZX than a top spec Xantia or people carrier. It's hardly noticeable really unless you are in the wrong gear. The only time you have to be below 2000 rpm is pulling away from a standstill, the rest of the time a massive dollop of torque is but a gearchange away.

TP,

That website was interesting...a chap who realises fancy air filters and tuning chips give almost no improvements in power ehh? Odd that he isn't VAT registered, the company must be far far smaller than his apparent experience would indicate.

MM
ZX TD tuning - volcane
The pre 95 volcanes are much quiker than the later ones. This is partly because of emissions. The later cars had an EGR (gas recirculation) which slowed them a lot. Get this removed possibly put in a high flow air filter which you can clean. Then tinkle a little with the fuel pump easy if its a Bosch but not sure about lucas pumps finally if you want more tinkle with the turbo. Get Diesel Car mag has best selection of diesel tuners.

There is only one problem with more power the more you get the more you want and you will soon find yourself wanting something even more powerful.
ZX TD tuning - Dizzy {P}
Spot on, Middleman, as always!

The current craze for hotting up is nothing new. In the 60s it entailed sticking 'exhaust ejectors' on the end of the tailpipe to pull out the gases. These would work -- but only at greater than 200 mph.

We then had 'hot camshafts'. These typically gave a little more bhp over a very small rev-band at the top end and ruined the torque over the lower/mid speed range.

We now have 'chipping' or fiddling with injection pumps and turbos, which are bound to threaten engine reliability and longevity.

Dave, I would leave well alone and look towards buying a faster car as MM suggests.