peugeot 206 1.4HDI - Peugeot 206 1.4HDI knocking noise - scole01234

I have a 2003 Peugeot 206 1.4 HDI (90K on clock) which is not smoking at all, pulls really well (for a 1.4!!) however it has an annoying chatter/knock. This is hardly noticable at tickover, but when accelarating it gets louder, until about 3000 revs then stops (or quietens down again), it also stops when I take my foot off the accelerater. The noise seems to be worse when the engine is hot. Any ideas? Thanks

peugeot 206 1.4HDI - Peugeot 206 1.4HDI knocking noise - gordonbennet

Assuming it's not something loose, eg air filter box/hoses or exhaust heat deflector etc, how long since it's had an oil/filter change with some decent oil?

peugeot 206 1.4HDI - Peugeot 206 1.4HDI knocking noise - unthrottled

Given the symptoms as you describe there's only one diagnosis:

Rod bearings are shot!!

Seriousy, it's much more likely to be loose metal parts knocking against each other under the engine's vibrations. Heat shields on the exhaust, do the fuel lines come close enough to each other to come into contact etc etc. Impossible to give a definite diagnosis, I'm afraid.

I thought it might be due to old oil so did an oil and filter change last week along with an engine flush. It does not sound like anything rattling, more like tappets, but the rev relation did not make sense, having hunted the internet could this be the fuel timing out causing "diesel knock"? I have seen and heard of Diesel knock, but am new to diesels so don't know if this is what it means. thanks for your thoughts

peugeot 206 1.4HDI - Peugeot 206 1.4HDI knocking noise - unthrottled

Diesel knock is sensitive to engine and intake temperature-worst when cold, eases off when warm.

peugeot 206 1.4HDI - Peugeot 206 1.4HDI knocking noise - madf

It is unlikely to be timing: it would not run well if timing was out.

Could be :

failed engine or gearbox mounting.

loose exhaust/heatshield/other component.

plus lots of other things which are impossible to tell..

Find a competent garage which knows the model is my advice..

I take it it's been neglected and not serviced by a garage?

I don't know much about the service history I have only had the car 2 weeks (I bought it cheap (I think) £1000 for a 2003 with 89K on the clock) I knew the noise was there but figured as it ran OK it probably was not serious, also with the price I paid I think worst case senario I can drop another engine in.

I will pop it into a garage and see what they think.

Thanks for your help

Had this checked out, it seems like the Aux belt tensioner is making the noise. Is this easy to replace? My haynes manual makes no mention of this. Is it worth replacing the other guide pullies at the same time?

Thanks

Steve

peugeot 206 1.4HDI - Peugeot 206 1.4HDI knocking noise - dieselnut

On the larger Hdi engines they use a sandwich construction for the crankshaft auxilliary belt pulley ( don't know if its the same on the 1.4 engine but worth checking ).

These start to disintegrate & effectively start to go oval.

This causes the belt & belt tensioner to thrash around & eventually damages the tensioner.

Look to see if that is happening on your engine & if so check the crank pulley.

peugeot 206 1.4HDI - Peugeot 206 1.4HDI knocking noise - bangernomics

Hi all, I have a citreon c2 with the same engine, mine has developed similar symptoms to this but it is only at idle?? ie a regular tapping which disapears when the revs climb above idle?? any ideas.