Traffic info. - Journey to Heathrow - Billsboy

Is there anyone with knowledge of the Heathrow area that can give some advice on routes and journey times.

I have to be at the airport at 1830hrs on a Tuesday evening in three weeks time and I'm not sure how much time I should allow for traffic conditions.

From my pad in Gloucestershire, I will be trravelling via the M4 which I will join at Swindon.

I would be interested in any comments on traffic conditions on this route, particularly at the Heathrow end.

Many thanks

Traffic info. - Journey to Heathrow - veryoldbear

It is deeply unpredictable. Once you get past Reading West J12, the effects of rush-hour traffic can cause all sorts of hold-ups. Leave yourself hods of time, then you will sail straight through and be twiddling your thumbs at LHR. Cut it tight and there will be An Incident at Slough ....

Edited by veryoldbear on 08/07/2011 at 16:54

Traffic info. - Journey to Heathrow - oldroverboy

if you go a bit early, leave at junction 5 langley, take the A4 towards heathrow, and there are lots of places to park + a mcdonalds about a mile from the airport entrance (t1 and 3) so you can get a coffee and hopefully not pay too much in parking charges at heathrow. if you have a smartphone you can check if the flight has landed and then go in, but terminals 1,1a and 3 are central area, 4 southside, 5 westside, all have different approach roads and it is a long way to drive if you are late. My advice , go early and wait close by outside till about 15 mins after the arrival time, then you will have ample time to get in and park. (thats what i do when I am collecting She who must be obeyed)

Good luck!

Traffic info. - Journey to Heathrow - RaineMan

Confucius he say "Whenever you go to Heathrow you will either be early or you wiil be late, BUT you will never be on time!"

Traffic info. - Journey to Heathrow - Billsboy

Many thanks for the advice, we'll be leaving early and hopefully have time to spare.

Traffic info. - Journey to Heathrow - oldtoffee

75 minutes from Junction 15 if you get a clear run, add half an hour more for potential slow traffic at J12/11 and J8/9 and J6 and J5. Come off at J5 as someone else has suggested to avoid the M25 junction before Heathrow. I do this journey once or twice a week at the same time of the day as you'll be travelling and it invariably goes ok, it's very busy and I choose to chill in the inside line at 65 to 70 rather than mix it with the nutters trying to set PBs for the journey home from work in their BMs, Mercs and white vans ;-)