Peugeot 106 starting problems - Mikey
I've got a Peugeot 106 1.5D (N reg) which struggles to start now that it's got cold in the mornings. I've replaced the glow plugs and there is a voltage on them when the ignition is turned. The preheat relay unit doesn't cut off the supply until about 20 seconds after the dashboard light goes off. Is this normal? If you wait until the preheat relay cuts out then it does start - eventually.

Any ideas?
Peugeot 106 starting problems - Andrew-T
Speaking from 205 experience, I think it was normal for the plugs to continue heating after the dashboard lamp went off - it was usually worth waiting a few more seconds. However when starting became more difficult it was sorted by the Peugeot garage adjusting the 'cold-start' on the injection pump.
Peugeot 106 starting problems - Shigg
I run a Rover 115, same engine simular problem. I've just replace the glowplugs and I thinks it's OK. You could try squeezing the fuel system priming bulb a few times (until firm resistance is felt) before the first start in the morning. If this works you could be looking for an air leak allowing fuel to drain back into the fuel tank. The priming bulb is located under the bonnet in the fuel line just before the fuel filter - looks a bit like a handgrenade!

Steve.
Peugeot 106 starting problems - IanT
Get your battery checked. It may seem to be turning the engine over OK, but still not be turning it over fast enough. If I remember rightly, this was the cure to a similar sounding problem I had on my 309 diesel a few years ago.

Ian
Peugeot 106 starting problems - 659FBE
Ian, You're almost certainly dead right. A diesel has a minimum cranking speed to fire, otherwise the rate of heat leakage exceeds the rate of heat produced by compression. On the 106, the (Lucas) glowplug controller fails safe (cuts out) after about 20 secs if the engine does not start. The post heat on these engines can be up to 5 minutes, and depends on engine temperature (transducer screwed in head). The preheat time is determined by the control box temperature, which is why it is mounted on the coolant header tank, which contains circulating coolant on this engine. I hope you bought Beru plugs for this engine - they are the only ones worth having.

(ex Lucas CAV)
Peugeot 106 starting problems - Dizzy {P}
I agree about BERU being the best make of glow plugs, though they are not available for all engines. Also agree about the importance of full cranking speed.

It has been very cold lately, with the wind-chill factor. I wonder if it would help to give it a double dose of glow plug operation before turning the starter.
Peugeot 106 starting problems - 659FBE
I should have added that this engine does not have the fuel system air ingress problems of the earlier PSA engines as the spin-on filter is screwed directly to the cylinder head to prevent fuel waxing. The CAV "hand grenade" primer is normally reliable if you are gentle with it. This engine should definitely not require more that 6 secs of pre-heat at present temperatures. One thing worth doing is to operate the hand primer a few times with the engine running following a fuel filter change to free the air bubble trapped above the element, which normally just sits there and can cause later trouble. Don't use pattern filter elements unless you want problems starting on a gradient with a low fuel tank level. The Bosch VE pump is marginal in its lift capabilities, and the OE Lucas filter has a low resistance to flow to make the best of this.

Bon voyage.