Brompton - Folding Bikes - JOGON

Theory is that it's in the boot of your car so you don't need to charlie about getting it in or on the car. Or take on bus, train etc. The Brompton gets best reviews and is made here, and about £760 for a 3 speed hub, mate bought a Mezzo too difficult to fold, use etc. Ideal to park and ride, and ok for enjoyment of the city centre, parks, canal towpaths etc. It will either result in more cycling being done or be another gadget that doesn't get used 'cos not as comfy as a full size front susp mountain bike. Has anyone taken the plunge?

Brompton - Folding Bikes - unthrottled

Cycling makes short work of suit trousers-the hassle is getting changed. Once you've got changed you're as well cycling the whole distance on a full size bike which is lighter, more rigid and more comfortable.

Folding bikes just look dorky. I've never seen any apart from in Oxford. I'm sure the trendies in islington like them!

unthrottled. Thanks, my mate's Mezzo folder is the most 'unused toy' he's ever bought. The problem with articles in a 'bicycle magazine' is that they / it is part of the bike-selling-machine. No doubt the Local Council's Cycling Officer and staff will all have quite nice shower and change facilities, and safe, bike theft-free parking, and comfy hours. And a Gold-Plated Pension.

The problem with articles in a 'bicycle magazine' is that they / it is part of the bike-selling-machine.

Quite. The same applies to automotive magazines. Even if the editorial staff know beter, they aren't going to say anything that will upset advertisers.

When it comes to biking to work-get an old 10 speed road/tourer for £50 and see if you like the concept in practice. I used to quite like it, but if you need to wear a suit at work, forget it.

Folding bikes are very good in niche situations, but overall they are too compromised to be considered a good buy. My road bike was unpopular with conductors on crowded trains-but I could usually squeeze in somewhere and just stay with it so it didn't inconvenience anyone unduly. And it doubled up as a great tourer at weekends-which the folder isn't.

Edited by unthrottled on 28/06/2011 at 20:21

Thanks, helpful.

Brompton - Folding Bikes - Alby Back

Oddly enough I've just been watching am online clip from the "Gadget Show" on the subject of folding bikes and the Brompton was awarded their highest score.

I seem to be having to commute to London a lot more these days, at least once a week and on the occasions I use the train I could see a Brompton being ideal for the last leg from Euston rather than suffering the rigours of the tube.

I keep meaning to investigate the "Boris bike" thing too.

We are keen weekend mountain bikers but getting even a folding version of one of those on a rush-hour train might be a bit of a pain.

Bromptons aren't cheap mind, I think I'd need to convince myself of its long term use first.

Brompton - Folding Bikes - Avant

Has anyone used a Boris bike and so could tell us how they got on with it? You used to have to take out a subscription but I believe that's no longer the case.

I oiught to try one, just to say I have, but when I go to my London office, on average twice a week, Russell Square is just a litte too far from Paddington.

Brompton - Folding Bikes - Alby Back

Click on the "how it works" video here. Seems straightforward enough. I can see it working for me when I need to get from Euston into the West Endt. However, the other place I often go which is in effect an industrial estate about 2 miles north of King's Cross might be more awkward due to lack of docking stations.

Got to be worth a try though.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/15025.aspx

Humph - sorry, a fault cut short that last comment, unless it was censored as I pointed you to an Autoexpress folding bike test :- "Bikes for the Boot" http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/267307/folding_bikes_tested.html Can't understand where they got the silly price for the (winning) Brompton, 3spd hub about £750 at Evans, and they've a 2sp in the sale at £699.

Brompton - Folding Bikes - ifithelps

...Can't understand where they got the silly price for the (winning) Brompton, 3spd hub about £750 at Evans...

The tested bike was the lightweight steel/titanium frame Brompton.

It's now £1,200+:

http://clients.squareeye.net/uploads/brompton/brompton_pricelist_to_print_cropped_2011.pdf

Apart from the infantising advert, that sounds like a really good idea. Basically renders the brompton redundant.

Apart from the infantising advert, that sounds like a really good idea. Basically renders the brompton redundant.

Not Really a) barclay bike 1 size doesnt fit all b) miss a time etc and pay penalty c) operated by the state, paid for by you d) can't take on train / in taxi / on bus e) can't take it home f) can't keep it in the boot of your car to Park+ride; Park+ride+ride on train+ride on bus.

Edited by Jog-on on 09/07/2011 at 20:55

The whole point is that you ride it to where you need to be then dock it. It's a very short erm hire. Besides, the cost of a brompton would pay for a lot of fines!

Humph, saw that too.

Edited by Jog-on on 08/07/2011 at 14:08

Brompton - Folding Bikes - foxmoth

I had a requirement for a folding bike some years ago, I owned a small aircraft and found that smaller airfields are always located in remote areas miles from civilisation, so that when you arrived somewhere you always had to try and get some form of transport. The first folding bike I bought , a Dahon, was a waste of time, it lacked rigidity and I never felt safe on it. The second folding bike owned was one of the tiny wheeled short wheel base versions that made you feel like something out of a circus act and was not comfortable to travel on. Then I saw and was able to try a full size bike that folded. It was labelled as a Rudge but I have subsequently seen it labelled as another manufacture. It has 23" wheels, 21 speed shimano gears and looks like a conventional mountain style bike, the front wheel is quickly removable and then two bolts are pulled on the frame, which then folds in two. Easily fits in the boot of my car and rides as a conventional bike. In fact if you didn't know it was a folder you would be unable to tell. Was not expensive either, from memory about £160.