performance upgrades ? - benno10
Hello,
I have a 1998 Audi A6 1.8TSE and am thinking of getting a performanve chip fitted. Current mileage is 84k and the car is as sweet as a nut, just a tad used to the performance after 20k of driving. Amd offer a chip upgrade that will give me an extra 40 bhp and 40 ibsft of torque ( approx ) for £550. Has anyone out there have first hand expeience of these chip upgrades on this model of car or same engine.
cheers
Ben B
performance upgrades ? - Andy P
Basically this will increase the power of your engine by 30% or so? Given it's age, it will put more strain on the gearbox and drivetrain, possibly leading to premature failure. There is also the increase in insurance, which could be £200 or more. Failing to tell the insurance company means you're no longer covered. You'd be better off saving that money towards a new car.

Andy
performance upgrades ? - Cyd
Provided the engine is in sound condition (and the turbo) having been well cared for (regular oil changes in particular) then you should have no problems with the upgrade. Depending on how you drive you could overstrain the drivetrain so try to drive smoothly avoiding harsh gearchanges (this applies even without the hike in power - which is 22% BTW).

I wouldn't be put off by the mileage of the car - as the miles advance and the car ages, some maintainance must be expected but whether you could attribute it to the extra power exclusively would be debateable in the extreme.

The only reason I haven't chipped my Rover Turbo is 'cos I can't afford it. Even with 120k up I wouldn't hesitate.