Volvo S40 - Intermittent starting problem - JimJames

1997 Volvo S40, 2 litre petrol, 105K miles. Good general condition.

Intermittent engine start-up problem. Ignition lights come on, but turning key produces no result. Problem mysteriously vanishes after several starting attempts or after a protacted period of non-use. Happens when doors unlocked or after doors are locked and alarmed. Engine warm or cold. With either of the keys.

Car delivered to Volvo main dealer who started it faultlessly twice a day for 10 days and said there wasn't a problem (I didn't get the impression they'd looked too hard). A couple of days later and the car wouldn't start again.

Can anybody suggest where I might usefully start looking to cure this debilitating problem? Many thanks for any help.

Jim

Edited by JimJames on 23/06/2011 at 12:10

Volvo S40 - Intermittent starting problem - kevan9369

hi i have the exact same problem did you find the cause?

regards

kev

Volvo S40 - Intermittent starting problem - Avant

He hasn;t posted since that one time in June 2011 sop i doubt that we'll hear from him now.

One ossible reason why no-one answered his post is that he didn't say whether the starter turns the engine or nothing happens at all. There's an implication ("no result") that it's the latter, which might suggest a poor electrical connection in the ignition system.