Ford Mondeo Mk.3 Zetec S TDCi - Mondeo 3 TDCi clutch / gearbox issue from cold? - Jellybean Dave

Can anyone suggest what my problem may be? I have just bought a 53 reg. Mondeo 2L TDCi (Zetec S) 6-spd manual. When left overnight - or until properly cold - the gearbox is very stiff, with the gears being very difficult to engage until I have travelled about 1/2 mile or so, when it becomes much easier to change gear. For the rest of the journey the gears are lovely! Just stiff when cold. Any idea's for a newbie anyone? Thanks!

Ford Mondeo Mk.3 Zetec S TDCi - Mondeo 3 TDCi clutch / gearbox issue from cold? - SteveLee

Get the gearbox oil changed, perhaps the wrong stuff was used at the last major service (assuming it isn't sealed for death) - if that makes no difference then it's probably on the way out.

Ford Mondeo Mk.3 Zetec S TDCi - Mondeo 3 TDCi clutch / gearbox issue from cold? - SteveLee

PS Where's the biting point on the clutch? If it engages as soon as you start to lift the pedal, it may be dragging, a warm gearbox always shifts easier so a dragging cluch induced problem will feel worse cold.

Ford Mondeo Mk.3 Zetec S TDCi - Mondeo 3 TDCi clutch / gearbox issue from cold? - injection doc

there is a Ford TSB for this very issue, cant remember the number but there is a modified oil if the gearbox suffers from stiffness cold.

best pop to a ford dealer and ask for the oil related to the TSB and then change the oil

Ford Mondeo Mk.3 Zetec S TDCi - Mondeo 3 TDCi clutch / gearbox issue from cold? - sandy56

I had a simialr problem with mine. My solution put into reverse before starting engine, when very cold, and avoid using first until the engine was warm.

That heped a lot,

then I changed the car and have the same problem with a Toyota!

Ford Mondeo Mk.3 Zetec S TDCi - Mondeo 3 TDCi clutch / gearbox issue from cold? - unthrottled

How do you avoid using the gearbox until the engine is warm?! "I'll just use this gear for the first 5 miles..."

Engine doesn't transfer much heat to the box anyway. The heat is generated within the box from the viscosity of the oil. Idling kind of works but you really need to get the revs up.

Ford Mondeo Mk.3 Zetec S TDCi - Mondeo 3 TDCi clutch / gearbox issue from cold? - primeradriver

PS Where's the biting point on the clutch? If it engages as soon as you start to lift the pedal, it may be dragging, a warm gearbox always shifts easier so a dragging cluch induced problem will feel worse cold.

Mine didn't... gearchange silky smooth from cold, became increasingly reluctant at low speed when warmed up. Completely missed the need for a new clutch when buying it as a result.

Believe it was something to do with the splines becoming more malleable when warmed up.

Ford Mondeo Mk.3 Zetec S TDCi - Mondeo 3 TDCi clutch / gearbox issue from cold? - unthrottled

I don't think you malleable splines in a gearbox!

Sounds like the clutch isn't fully disengaging. When cold, the high viscosity of the oil is helping to slow the layshaft down-I take it that it is upshifting you're having problems with? As it warms up, the viscosity falls and the effect isn't as pronounced. Exactly the same reason that people grind reverse with a warm box and not with a cold one.

Ford Mondeo Mk.3 Zetec S TDCi - Mondeo 3 TDCi clutch / gearbox issue from cold? - Jellybean Dave

Hi Steve,

Biting point feels very low when cold. Is there any adjustment at all?

Also, is there any cure for a dragging clutch other than getting a mortgage & changing it??

Thanks,

Dave

Get the gearbox oil changed, perhaps the wrong stuff was used at the last major service (assuming it isn't sealed for death) - if that makes no difference then it's probably on the way out.

Steve - when you say 'it's probably on the way out' do you mean the box itself? Dave

Steve - when you say 'it's probably on the way out' do you mean the box itself? Dave

Yes, but note the TSB mentioned above by another poster - worth a go.