V40 - really that bad? - No Dosh
My 90k 1996 Rover 416 auto is off to pastures new. As I pay each new maintenance bill with the words "well there's nothing left to replace now" I just know I'm asking for trouble. (now you see why I chose "No Dosh")

I have my eye on a 2001 V40 S 1.9TD. It's has 60k on the clock and FSH (volvo). The dealer is asking £9.5k but obviously I'm going to push for a deal.

Now I know HJ has his views on V40s..... what I need to know is did Volvo improve matters with the 2000MY enough to make this car a worthwhile buy? I would be particularly interested to know if the problem with suspension bottom ball joints was fixed for these later cars.

Over to you lot.....

V40 - really that bad? - FergusTheDog
Yes, it is horrible. I was loaned one in the first couple of weeks after launch while my 850 was being serviced. It was a 2.0 petrol as I recall and I took it back because I thought there was something wrong with it. About 3 years ago I test drove a V40 2.0T and that was just as nasty.

Vastly over rated.
V40 - really that bad? - No Do$h
Ah.

Anyone got any suggestions for a V40 sized TD estate? Budget £10k max. I've looked around and Passats are stupid money with galactic milage, Mondeo TDci seems to have reliability issues, every taxi driver in town has a Skoda Octavia (and I don't want to spend the next few years telling people to get out of my car at traffic lights). Don't even suggest the Vectra .

Help?
V40 - really that bad? - volvod5_dude
Not a proper Volvo, a Mitsibushi in drag!
OK, but a Mitsubishi is bad because....?

As I saw it, the V40 should offer a combination of Jap quality and volvo safety. but HJ's comments on them have caused me to re-think, hence my question on the 2000MY relaunch and "improvements".

Someone will be telling me to get a 240 next :o)
V40 - really that bad? - volvod5_dude
>OK, but a Mitsubishi is bad because....?

Colleague of mine had 2 replacement gearboxes in his new S40 within 6 months of purchase. Not happy, upgraded to a V70 very happy.

Isn't the V/S40 range soon going to be replaced by the V/S50 range....?

The S/V40 is due to be replaced, but my budget stretches to £10k if I'm lucky, rather than the £18k I would need for a new one!

I used to work for Ford, then a Ford dealership and later moved to a Rover dealership (although this is some time ago) and am all too aware that you only tend to hear from less than satisfied customers, despite the many hundreds who are perfectly happy with their car.

What I'm trying to find out is whether anyone who has owned one for any length of time (a post 2000MY build) has anything positive to say. All the criticism I've seen has come from those with short-term exposure to the car, often after coming out of a considerably upmarket alternative. I'm sure I would find a 316compact dreadful if my daily motor was a 530i.... As it is, I'm driving a Honda-engined BMW built Rover! A lada would be an improvement!

Keep the posts coming, they all add to the picture I'm building of this car.

No Dosh (no idea)
V40 - really that bad? - Stargazer {P}
No Dosh,

I have a March2000 V40 1.8, so just before the improvements to the MY2000 came in.

My car is an ex-volvo car with average mileage and fsh. We find it comfortable with 2 adults and a young child and all the junk we need to carry around (not as big as our old Subaru though).

The 1.8 petrol is ok, rear end can be a little light on awqward camber corners when unloaded....one of the main critisms I think. No problems with balljoints, just one MAF sensor connector problem fixed under warranty. we get around 35mpg average, 30 on short journeys, upto 40 on long motorway trips.

I have no experience of the 1.9D engine, but I think this was the renault based engine which has never been very popular.

We drove a MY2000 2.0T with sports setup on a test drive before choosing the current car (due to the cost) which was very different in handling. Worth trying to drive an older car then a newer setup I think.

Hope this is constructive
Ian L.
Thanks to everyone for their feedback, especially that from Ian L.

I sent an email to HJ and his response confirmed that the TD is indeed a Renault lump (and I use the term "lump" on good advice). As I'm really after a TD estate/hatch this piece of news has caused me to strike the V40 off my list with no small amount of haste!

Back to the drawing board.....

:o(

More Dosh (cos I'm not buying that Volvo)
V40 - really that bad? - Steve S
No Dosh,

Had a 99V S40 T4SE. Enjoyed 70k plus of comfortable, fast miles with no problems at all. Upgraded to a C70 on change.

Another guy on the fleet has a V40 T4SE that is a few months old and is very happy with it.
V40 - really that bad? - LHM
As you've ruled out the Volvo, perhaps you might consider a Xantia 2.0HDi estate.

'S'-platers can be had for <£4k. Don't let people put you off with horror stories of the 'iffy' suspension - later models are fine.
You're probably all going to roll on the floor laughing at this point..... I've just seen an Alfa 156 Veloce Sportswagon 2.4 JTD and can't stop drooling.

Somebody stop me before I hurt myself and my bank balance!