Daewoo Lanos - Returning car 2 weeks after buying from trader? - daffyb63

I bought a T reg Daewoo lanos 2 weeks ago from a dealer and MOT garage. I took it for a small test drive and it seemed ok but once I had driven it 50 miles home I realised there was something wrong. I texted the dealer who stated the heat sheild needed looking at!! I was not told about this at the point of sale. I checked out prices and decided it was not worth the petrol or my time to return it and was ready to have it repaired myself. During the following week it became apparent there were many faults, there is a burning smell, the passenger window doesnt open, it only does 20 miles to the gallon and his comment of 'it is only a 1.4 so doesnt have a lot of power' is wholly optemistic!! I contacted him 6 days after purchase stating I wanted it repaired, replaced or a full refund. He stated I had bought it as seen and that was it!! I stated as a dealer it is not only as 'seen' but as decribed by the dealer and he obviously ommited faults and also lied about power and fuel efficiancy!! It is now a week later, I have had no choice but to drive the car due to where I live and work and he is refusing to answer calls or texts. I am now going to return the car but want to know my legal standing before I turn up? Do you have any words of wisbom for me?

Thanks

Daffyb

Daewoo Lanos - Returning car 2 weeks after buying from trader? - bonzo dog

Hi Daffy, sorry to hear of your troubles.

The two biggest problems you have are:

1. when the seller says "get lost" you have to go through the onerous legal process to get satisfaction ie dispite what the law says, it IS down to you to prove the dealer was at fault through court action and
  2. (as Mr Cameron is discovering) the courts will interpret the law in any way they see fit.

My view is that a dealer CANNOT sell a non-trader a vehicle on "trade" terms, even a T reg car, thus is responsibe for bringing the car up to a reasonable standard or must refund you what you paid.

What length of durability should this be? Again, this is down to the courts to decide but 2 weeks, IMO is unreasonable; others may disagree.

Let us know how you progress & good luck

Edited by bonzo dog on 13/06/2011 at 10:17