Vauxhall Astra - Tyres deflating - Mattroco

My tyres were going flat on a regular basis. All four. One day, one or two might be flat. Another day all four. Sometimes they wouldn't go flat for a week, etc. So I was scratching my head a bit other it.

I live in a rural location with old dears living both sides of me and opposite me. They tend to know what I'm doing before I do, so I ruled out somebody letting them down. Then again, it's unlikely that the neighbours would pay close attention at night.

I've been told by yet another one of my neighbours that going along the potholes on the school run would cause my tyres to deflate, but surely I wouldn't be the only person on the school run to suffer from this problem. The neighbour who told me this, by the way, has always been very 'keeping up with the Jones's' and tried to pick fault with every aspect of my car, declaring that Vauxhalls are rubbish, then went out and bought one that is five years newer. What I'm getting at is that I suspect him, but I always thought that letting down tyres was a lengthy, difficult and noisy process.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Vauxhall Astra - Tyres deflating - gordonbennet
Next time you have a flat, take it off, reinflate it and submerge in water, or if nothing big enough go round it meticulously with some soapy water.

Once you've established puncture or not, you can then think of other reasons.

Don't forget to check the wheels all over for leakage, not just the bead seats, alloys sometimes leak after a number of years.

Vauxhall Astra - Tyres deflating - Collos25

You have either a rather stupid neighbour or your alloys have become pourous,you need to take the car to a good tyre shop and have them test each wheel for leaks they can do a temporary fix on them but long term its complete refurbishment or replacement.

Vauxhall Astra - Tyres deflating - doofer

Far to random to be leaky tyres or porous alloys. Sometimes a week, sometimes overnight, sometimes one tyre, sometimes all?!

Do they ever go flat when the car is parked at work or elsewhere?

You could get some spinning valve dust caps which can't be removed without the tool, but I'd rather set up a little spy camera and find out who it is then get the police involved. Or a baseball bat if that's your preference!

Vauxhall Astra - Tyres deflating - track

vandal grease on the dust caps, even if they wash theior hands you will see a lack of grease on the dust caps and know it is foul play.

Vauxhall Astra - Tyres deflating - 1litregolfeater

It's them old dears creeping out at night, must make for better entertainment than telly these days!

This once happened to me on one tyre, and it was a dodgy valve that wouldn't screw into the alloy and seal. But you have four. I suspect the last garage to fit a set of four didn't apply latex solution.

Or - rusty rims

Or - corroded alloy rims

All easily solved with a bit of time and a wire brush.

Although a hammer may prove more appropriate in the end.

Vauxhall Astra - Tyres deflating - rjs

track has it right - to be sure it's not a dumb human, put something on the caps which will make it obvious they've been tampered with. Or say, leave them all a quarter turn loose as chances are they won't notice and they'll screw them back on tight...

Vauxhall Astra - Tyres deflating - madf

Year, model , rim type - steel or alloy - and tyre make and age would help.

If we are talking cheap imported Chinese ditch finders which are 7 years old..

Oh and when they go flat, how are they re-inflated and resealed?

I take it they ARE resealed at a garage? What do they say?

ANd they have fitted new valves?

Until we have that basic information, I regret no judgement is possible.

Edited by madf on 14/06/2011 at 17:18

Vauxhall Astra - Tyres deflating - SteveLee

I had one (well two including the spare) tyres that go down over time, sometimes staying up for weeks, sometimes losing pressure in a few days - both were leaking past the valve stem. I cleaned up the area with a tooth brush and soapy water, let it dry thouroughly and then poured a little super glue round the base of the stem - problem solved. You'll have to take the wheel off though to lay it flat. The soapy water also confirmed the leak.