KIA Rio - Petrol consumption - supercynic

I bought a Rio Chill 58 plate in January and it's now showing about 16500 miles. I can't seem to average more than about 30mpg. I do mainly short runs around town but interspersed with longer runs most weeks, I try not to be lead footed. The car is under warranty until September this year and has been back to the dealer's twice, they apparently carried out diagnostic inspections but found no fault records. The last dealer updated the ECU but there seems to be no difference. Am I expecting too much, are all these models heavy on fuel or is there any tuning that can improve things.

KIA Rio - Petrol consumption - unthrottled

I assume it is a 1.4

How short are the journeys? 30mpg is about right for a 1 mile journey from a cold start.

Too many variables to give a meaningful answer. If you have an instant mpg readout facility, take the car onto a motorway and maintain a constant 55-60mph. You should return at least 50mpg in this condition. If you don't something is wrong-sticky brake piston, hand brake not fully releasing etc. Do the brakes get very hot after gentle driving with little braking?