Most Reliable Diesel Engine - ant1973

Having read all of the assorted horror stories with modern diesels (and having seen my Father endure a catastrophic problem with his 320d), is there any definitive guide as to the most reliable, modern, turbo diesel engine?I know that the 1.9 VAG engine was highly regarded but it is no longer available in a modern-ish car.

Havin spent a little time looking, it seemed to me that Honda's 2.2 lump might be seen as the best of a bad bunch?

Any thoughts?

Most Reliable Diesel Engine - Boulder2k9
The D4D engines in Toyotas are excellent for reliability, and the diesels in Nissan/Renault seem to be quite good too from what I have heard. My favourite though is the engine in the S320 CDI. A mate has a 07 model with 150k now and still going strong like the day he bought it,no problems except wear and tear items. The Jtdm engine is my Alfa has been great so far too.

I have only ever heard good things about the Korean diesel engines too, especially the 2.2 in the Sante Fe.
Most Reliable Diesel Engine - Collos25
The engine in the peugeot 407 1.6hdi sw which I am using in Germany has now 120k km and is the best part of the car.when you look at these second hand some have really star ship mileages - its not uncommon to see a Mercedes taxi that has gone round the clock.
Most Reliable Diesel Engine - dieseldogg

Erm.......are MB now reduced to using PsA engines

Sigh

Most Reliable Diesel Engine - madf
The D4D engines in Toyotas are excellent for reliability, and the diesels in Nissan/Renault seem to be quite good too from what I have heard. My favourite though is the engine in the S320 CDI. A mate has a 07 model with 150k now and still going strong like the day he bought it,no problems except wear and tear items. The Jtdm engine is my Alfa has been great so far too. I have only ever heard good things about the Korean diesel engines too, especially the 2.2 in the Sante Fe.

MB has had lots of injector problems on Blue Efficiency engines. Now sorted I think..

Yaris D4d engines appear v reliable: the Yaris forums get very few issues: mainly choked up EGR valves due to lots of town driving or cheap nasty diesel..

Most Reliable Diesel Engine - Boulder2k9
I had a Auris van D4D over the winter last year and it was excellent,it was the 1.4 engine and was great,started first time everytime!
Most Reliable Diesel Engine - ant1973

Certainly looks like a japanese car is the way to go here. It's quite, striking, however, the difference in fuel economy between EU and Japanese diesels. I often wonder whether the Japanese cars are so reliable because they don't push the same boundaries as the EU cars.

Most Reliable Diesel Engine - vmturbo

Its not just the engine its how its plumbed-in to the car that decides whether the installation will be a success or a failure. In particular if the engine is taller than the radiator and if the owners manual indicates a complicated bleeding ritual, disaster is virtually assured. Avoid like the plague any car that has bleeder screws in its radiator hoses. Avoid any car with a cooling system that needs to be vacuum bled. I can only assume that some car factories employ young dudes who are straight out of Uni and lack real world experience. In particular they do not understand that metals and gaskets are often microporous. If an engine leaks 1cc of gas per hour into a well-designed cooling system it will not be a problem as the gas will vent-off from the radiator header tank. On the bad designs air locks and overheating will occur so its a case of caveat emptor. Perkins make excellent diesel engines but most of these are far too large for passenger cars. It is a good idea to have an oil cooler that does not rely on the radiator as combined cooling puts all ones eggs in one basket. Especially be aware of where the water pump is. I'm a senoir citizen now but over the years I have noticed that engines that have high mounted water pumps are usually very troublesome indeed. The laws of libel probably prevent me from trotting out a long list of bum designs so you will have to work it out for yourself. Note that some "clever" car designs now have water cooled transmissions. One star design has oil pipes in the radiator which corrode. Once this happens hot water surges into the transmission which then explodes and spews its gears over the road. Well what can you expect for £57,000 ? (and its now done it twice!) Good luck!

Most Reliable Diesel Engine - daveyjp
With diesels the more you use them the more reliable they get. My dad did 30,000 a year for 25 years in every type of Fiesta diesel from Endura to TDCi, doing over 100k in each one and never had a failure.

Most Reliable Diesel Engine - Roly93
With diesels the more you use them the more reliable they get. My dad did 30,000 a year for 25 years in every type of Fiesta diesel from Endura to TDCi, doing over 100k in each one and never had a failure.

Very true, diesels that get pottered around town at little more than tickover are the troublesome ones. I have done about 150K miles in 3 different diesel cars with none of the usual engine issues at all.
Most Reliable Diesel Engine - mss1tw

Its not just the engine its how its plumbed-in to the car that decides whether the installation will be a success or a failure...

Interesting post, cheers!

Most Reliable Diesel Engine - madf

"Well what can you expect for £57,000 ? (and its now done it twice!) Good luck!"

Certyainly not reliable MB engineering.

Most Reliable Diesel Engine - glowplug

It seems strange but I've never owned an unreliable car, let alone a diesel. Maybe it's because I can't/won't pay for garages to look after them and so I do look after them or is it because I don't do lots of miles in my cars. My cars usually have in excess of 110K on the clock when I buy them.

I drove a 1.7 D Astra van to 197K and it had a very hard life. Previous vans reached over 150K with dealer servicing before the lease ended. Only 2 went bang (I wasn't driving them at the time) both hadn't had their timing belts changed due to dealer incompetence. This is when the service interval was 4.5K for oil and filters and 9K for main servicing.

Steve.

Most Reliable Diesel Engine - daveyK_UK
I have heard nothing but bad things about the honda 2.2 diesel, look it up.
Most Reliable Diesel Engine - unthrottled

You have to put the VAG 1.9 PD up there with most reliable engines.

Like all 2 valve diesels it avoids the troublesome swirl flaps.

The unit injector set up is also a bonus. Unlike electronic rotary distributer pumps, you don't have a problem with pump timing when the belt is changed.

Unlike common rail, there are no lubrication issues with a high pressure fuel pump.

Unlike the more 'advanced' 2.0 16V engine, there isn't a stupid Lanchester shaft set up either. Utterly pointless on a diesel engine anyway.

Surprisingly, given the limited window of injection timing, the PD engine seems to cope with DPF pretty well.

Most Reliable Diesel Engine - dieselnut

Have to agree that the 1.9PD was just about the pinnacle of diesel engine efficiency, reliability & relative simplicity. The 1.9 was never fitted with DPF, so what with the ballance shaft/ oil pump drive issues with the 2l, it is best avoided altogether.The CR 2l also seems to have no issues & is at least 10% more efficient than the PD on a run although is a far more complex unit, but with better diagnostics.

Mk V Golfs and Skoda Octavias were definitely fitted with 105hp 1.9equipped with DPF!.

Most Reliable Diesel Engine - 659FBE

Another vote here for the 1.9 VAG PD engine. This unit has probably the highest thermal effeciency of any diesel engine ever produced in this size.

Picking up a few points above, the DPF system as applied to the PDs was a bodge - simply because there is little pressurised fuel available for soot-burn injection when the engine exhaust valves are open, as is required for regeneration. The unit injector cam geometry is, quite rightly optimised to give very high pressure fuel delivery at the time the engine needs it to do useful work. I would not recommend a PD engine equipped with a DPF to anyone.

The VAG-specific (as opposed to the generic) diagnostic system on the PD engines is extremely comprehensive. It allows for instance, the measurement of individual injector fuellings at idle in order to assess balance. The control software is similarly well specified - engine acceleration is measured between sucessive injections and the fuelling is corrected to allow unbalanced injectors to give even running.

Contrast this with the Ford system which requires the control ECU to be calibrated with the delivery characteristics of the fitted injectors. There is no facility to compensate for wear and the coding seems to get "lost" on occasions.

There's nothing wrong with Lanchester balancer shafts - it's just that VAG seemed to be incapable of designing a durable drive for the shafts and the oil pump. I suspect the apprentice did the job whilst the more experienced engineers were working on the CR engines. A seasoned engineer would never attempt to drive balance shafts with a chain due to the diffculties of torsional oscillation and resonances.

Although undeniably smoother and (a few HP fuel pump failures aside) largely reliable, the VAG CR engine does not in practice match the efficiency of the pre-DPF PD. With similar injection pressures, a soot-filter restricted exhaust and worthless fuel injection for soot burn off, there's no reason why it should. I suspect a little numerical massaging...

Most Reliable Diesel Engine - sandy56

I have had my Toyota AURIS 2.0 Diesel D4D for 3 years, now 5 years old. NOTHING has gone wrong. Not the best diesel engine but a very good one. Cruises very nicely at high (illegal) motorway speeds in 6th. Will doddle in town at ~1,000 rpm in 4th.

Most Reliable Diesel Engine - focussed

Another vote here for the 1.9 VAG PD engine. This unit has probably the highest thermal effeciency of any diesel engine ever produced in this size.

Picking up a few points above, the DPF system as applied to the PDs was a bodge - simply because there is little pressurised fuel available for soot-burn injection when the engine exhaust valves are open, as is required for regeneration. The unit injector cam geometry is, quite rightly optimised to give very high pressure fuel delivery at the time the engine needs it to do useful work. I would not recommend a PD engine equipped with a DPF to anyone.

The VAG-specific (as opposed to the generic) diagnostic system on the PD engines is extremely comprehensive. It allows for instance, the measurement of individual injector fuellings at idle in order to assess balance. The control software is similarly well specified - engine acceleration is measured between sucessive injections and the fuelling is corrected to allow unbalanced injectors to give even running.

Contrast this with the Ford system which requires the control ECU to be calibrated with the delivery characteristics of the fitted injectors. There is no facility to compensate for wear and the coding seems to get "lost" on occasions.

There's nothing wrong with Lanchester balancer shafts - it's just that VAG seemed to be incapable of designing a durable drive for the shafts and the oil pump. I suspect the apprentice did the job whilst the more experienced engineers were working on the CR engines. A seasoned engineer would never attempt to drive balance shafts with a chain due to the diffculties of torsional oscillation and resonances.

Although undeniably smoother and (a few HP fuel pump failures aside) largely reliable, the VAG CR engine does not in practice match the efficiency of the pre-DPF PD. With similar injection pressures, a soot-filter restricted exhaust and worthless fuel injection for soot burn off, there's no reason why it should. I suspect a little numerical massaging...

I have to take issue with you on the point that you make " A seasoned engineer would never attempt to drive balance shafts with a chain due to the diffculties of torsional oscillation and resonances."

On the contrary, Honda UK employ a great many seasoned engineers and the balance shaft/oil pump assembly on the 2.2 CDTI Honda is chain driven from the front of the crankshaft. The two balance shafts are geared together 1:1 and driven at 2:1 from the crankshaft by a chain along with the oil pump.

However you drive them, I still don't see the point of Lanchester shafts on a diesel engine. They make a significant contribution to the NVH of a petrol engine, but the effect is much less pronounced on a diesel. The friction and extra cost of Lanchester shafts is probably not much less than an extra cylinder which would would be far more effective in terms of NVh at low speed, not to mention the extra low rPM torque.

Most Reliable Diesel Engine - BenG

I bought an older VW 1.9 PD-engined car (Seat Leon Mk1), wanting to avoid DPFs on later diesels, and the engine's been mostly fine but the rest of the car's developed loads of faults and I've spent over £2.5k getting it sorted, wiping out years of fuel savings, so beware of thinking as I did!

I find the VW diesel a bit unresponsive from low revs compared to the Focus 1.8TDCI I had before, but it's the PD150 and some say the 130hp version is more responsive.

I can't argue with efficiency, though, having averaged 55-56mpg on two recent trips from Aberdeen to North Yorks and Northumberland - mix of motorways and 'B'-roads - with the engine being remapped to 175hp / 300lbft.

"However you drive them, I still don't see the point of Lanchester shafts on a diesel engine"

I think they are brilliant, reduces NVH a treat, both our diesel vehicles have them, a Honda Civic FN3 Civic 2.2 CDTI and an old dog of a L200 pickup with a 4D56T 2.5 litre IDI motor.

Wouldn't be without them-any questions?

Yes-how do attribute the smoothness to balance shafts? They work in petrols because the inertial forces of the reciprocating assembly is often greater than the force due to the gas pressure, so (partially) cancelling out the second order imbalance is worthwhile. In diesel engines, the gas forces always dominate, so alleviating the imbalance doesn't really achieve much. The smoothness is more likely due to the DMF (Recoil in horror!) and good engine mounts.

Yes-how do attribute the smoothness to balance shafts? They work in petrols because the inertial forces of the reciprocating assembly is often greater than the force due to the gas pressure, so (partially) cancelling out the second order imbalance is worthwhile. In diesel engines, the gas forces always dominate, so alleviating the imbalance doesn't really achieve much. The smoothness is more likely due to the DMF (Recoil in horror!) and good engine mounts.

As is well known, the unbalanced second order forces can be balanced by two balance shafts rotating in opposite directions at twice crankshaft speed each carrying an unbalanced weight symetrically located from front to back of the engine. The horizontal components of their unbalanced reaction will cancel, but the vertical components will add, phased to cancel out the second order forces.

Having dealt with the theory, the reality is that the Honda 2.2 CDTI doesn't really sound or feel like a diesel and has very little if any movement on it's mounts except when starting or stopping. The 4D56T in the L200 is a big old fashioned IDI four banger of a diesel and for an engine of that size and age is tolerably smooth.

Years ago a Danish company called Bukh built a twin cylinder marine diesel of about 1100 cc and about 20 hp, both pistons up and down together, normally a big twin like this is a real teeth rattler and destroyer of engine mounts, but they equipped this engine with balance shafts,it was renowned as a really smooth engine, so they do work on diesels.

having dealt with the theory, the reality is that the Honda 2.2 CDTI doesn't really sound or feel like a diesel and has very little if any movement on it's mounts except when starting or stopping.

This has nothing to with engine balance and is entirely due to multiple injection strategy limiting cylinder pressure rise and torque flux.

We see the same nonsense with journalists fawning over the 'perfect balance' of the flat four. In reality the flar four runs rough as a cob compared to the inline four at normally encountered engine speeds. The major source of NVH in a four cylinder engine is crankshaft torque flux. The vertical oscillating motion of the crank (and engine block) is usually fairly minor and easily absorbed by rubber mounts. The imbalance of the inline 4 actually reduces NVH. This is is because the inertial forces on the piston are out of phase with the gas forces and so the dominating torque flux is attenuated by the inertia of the reciprocating assembly. Only when inertial forces are greater than the forces due to gas pressure does the second order imbalance become a problem. This occurs frequently in petrol engines but almost never occurs in diesel engines.

I have run various mathematical of cranshaft assemblies models and all varients demonstrate this behaviour.

built a twin cylinder marine diesel of about 1100 cc and about 20 hp, both pistons up and down together, normally a big twin like this is a real teeth rattler and destroyer of engine mounts.

...which proves my point! If engine balance was such a big problem, Bukh (and all other engine manufacturers) would build 180 degree twins, not 360 degree twins. The 180 degree twin has better mechanical balance than a 360 degree twin. The 360 degree twin is favoured because the even firing interval (cylinder gas pressures) dominate over mechanical engine balance.

The 4D56T in the L200 is a big old fashioned IDI four banger of a diesel

2.5 litres is not large for a diesel 4 pot. Both JCB and Cummins build 4.0+ litre 4 pots-neither bother with balance shafts. Interestingly, Detroit Diesel did use a (single) balance shaft on their 4 cylinder 2 stroke engines. Unlike the Lanchester carbuncle, the balancing shaft was integrated into the camshaft. I'll let you to figure out why only one was required.

Most Reliable Diesel Engine - RT

My Hyundai R-series has a single balancer shaft - while it's certainly noisier than any petrol I've driven it doesn't have any issues with vibration or harshness - it's too new to assess it's reliability but being designed/built in-house it should be better than the VM designs that Hyundai used to use.

having dealt with the theory, the reality is that the Honda 2.2 CDTI doesn't really sound or feel like a diesel and has very little if any movement on it's mounts except when starting or stopping.

This has nothing to with engine balance and is entirely due to multiple injection strategy limiting cylinder pressure rise and torque flux.

We see the same nonsense with journalists fawning over the 'perfect balance' of the flat four. In reality the flar four runs rough as a cob compared to the inline four at normally encountered engine speeds. The major source of NVH in a four cylinder engine is crankshaft torque flux. The vertical oscillating motion of the crank (and engine block) is usually fairly minor and easily absorbed by rubber mounts. The imbalance of the inline 4 actually reduces NVH. This is is because the inertial forces on the piston are out of phase with the gas forces and so the dominating torque flux is attenuated by the inertia of the reciprocating assembly. Only when inertial forces are greater than the forces due to gas pressure does the second order imbalance become a problem. This occurs frequently in petrol engines but almost never occurs in diesel engines.

I have run various mathematical of cranshaft assemblies models and all varients demonstrate this behaviour.

built a twin cylinder marine diesel of about 1100 cc and about 20 hp, both pistons up and down together, normally a big twin like this is a real teeth rattler and destroyer of engine mounts.

...which proves my point! If engine balance was such a big problem, Bukh (and all other engine manufacturers) would build 180 degree twins, not 360 degree twins. The 180 degree twin has better mechanical balance than a 360 degree twin. The 360 degree twin is favoured because the even firing interval (cylinder gas pressures) dominate over mechanical engine balance.

The 4D56T in the L200 is a big old fashioned IDI four banger of a diesel

2.5 litres is not large for a diesel 4 pot. Both JCB and Cummins build 4.0+ litre 4 pots-neither bother with balance shafts. Interestingly, Detroit Diesel did use a (single) balance shaft on their 4 cylinder 2 stroke engines. Unlike the Lanchester carbuncle, the balancing shaft was integrated into the camshaft. I'll let you to figure out why only one was required.

Yes I know that lots of manufacturers such as JCB, Cummins, Gardner, Lister, Volvo, International Harvestor, Perkins etc have made large capacity 4 cylinder motors without balance shafts, but they don't install them in cars do they-why? Because they vibrate too much. The excellent Perkins 4-236 for example is a four cylinder DI diesel of nearly 4 litre capacity (3867 cc) but you wouldn't want to sit behind it for long in a car-even though it was sometimes used to re-engine Land Rovers.

I like my balance shafts-you haven't convinced me to go unbalanced Unthrottled!

I like my balance shafts-you haven't convinced me to go unbalanced Unthrottled!

Whereas I prefer to be unbalanced!

Most Reliable Diesel Engine - Ed V

HJ speaks well of the Renault 1.6 DCI as the most modern small diesel.

Great posts above, but, apart from buying Japanese / Asian, I'm not sure the discussion's conclusive.

Most Reliable Diesel Engine - PETER 4768

I think the original poster was asking about current diesel engines, the best of the new bunch is without a doubt the 2.0 tdi vag lump not to be confused with the pre 2008 abortion of an engine produced by vag. The same unit is placed in every model of car, van or 4x4 that vag produce with a 2.0 tdi engine,mechanically the engine is the same in everything only injectors and manifolds change for different fitments.

This engine is closely followed by toyota and mercedes both cannot claim no1 as both are not used in anywhere near the volumes that the vag unit is. Currently we have only replaced 2 of these type of engines and both were changed through crash damage

regards

I think the original poster was asking about current diesel engines, the best of the new bunch is without a doubt the 2.0 tdi vag lump not to be confused with the pre 2008 abortion of an engine produced by vag. The same unit is placed in every model of car, van or 4x4 that vag produce with a 2.0 tdi engine,mechanically the engine is the same in everything only injectors and manifolds change for different fitments.

This engine is closely followed by toyota and mercedes both cannot claim no1 as both are not used in anywhere near the volumes that the vag unit is. Currently we have only replaced 2 of these type of engines and both were changed through crash damage

As you're excluding the pre-2008 engine, you're referring to a very recent engine that's no more than 4 years old so very few will have done high mileages - no-one would expect any failures in that time !!

Most Reliable Diesel Engine - PETER 4768

sorry I dont agree, hit the classifieds lots and lots of these engines have in excess of 200k miles on them. We have changed many bmw diesel engines of the same age

Most Reliable Diesel Engine - outlier

My thoughts: modern diesel engines are very reliable. It is a misleading question because the weak points are typically not the engine but ancilliary parts: belts, tensioners, DMFs, DPFs, turbos, injectors. My car recently had a heater hose rupture. No warning, no increase in temperature on the dash: if I hadn't stopped in time the engine would have been toast all because of a part which costs a few pence.

Reliability is a tricky thing, you always have to drill down the the lowest level of detail of what caused the failure. This doesn't always happen, so rumour and innuendo come to the fore.

if I hadn't stopped in time the engine would have been toast all because of a part which costs a few pence.

Very true. My engine has stopped dead just once in its 15 years. The cause: a 50p rubber gasket on the wiring harness had perished allowing moisture into the wiring loom. Galvanic corrosion took care of the rest. A 75p gasket would probably have lasted 25 years. I suspect these sorts of problems will become more prevalent as OEMs try to produce heavier, more powerful, yet more economical cars at a lower cost. Any part that does not reduce fuel consumption or improve torque will be pared back to the absolute minimum.

Most Reliable Diesel Engine - Matranut

Interesting what you say about silly things causing sometimes catastrophic failurs! From my experience with diesels as a chauffeur - without a doubt the most reliable - MB 320cdi engine - 376,000 miles in 5 years and NO problems at all! Sold to a taxi firm in Birmingham - last heard had covered over 600,000 miles and still going strong!

Least reliable - BMW 3.0d engine - 147,000 miles - total destruction internally following the failure of a £15 glow plug - the tip broke off scoring the bore and destroying the turbo! This was my second BMW following a previous disaster with a 525d which snapped the camchain at 124,000 miles.

Most Reliable Diesel Engine - xtrailman

I can't understand the PD engine being put forward for the most reliable, i thought i had read the opposite.

My limit experience of that engine was also negative, vibration through the pedals on the loan car Audi i had, plus the power was also delivered in a very narrow band, useless for towing.

The Honda CRV 2.2 is also hondas most unreliable engine, from what i've read, and is leagues behind both VAG and Mazda in torque.

As yet i've read nothing negative about the Korean 2.2 diesel.

Edited by xtrailman on 21/12/2013 at 08:53

As yet i've read nothing negative about the Korean 2.2 diesel.

Which Korean 2.2 diesel?

The 2.2CRDTi used by Hyundai/Kia from 2006-2009 was a totally different engine to the current 2.2CRDi from 2010-onwards.

The former was a Hyundai engine evolved from the iron block cambelt 2.0CRDTi used from 2003-2009 which itself originated from the VM Motori RA 420.

The later all-alloy camchain 2.2CRDi is a completely in-house design, developed at Hyundai's European R&D Centre in Germany but built in Korea. 194 bhp & 322 lb ft.

Saying that, I've heard nothing negative about either - hope that's not the kiss of death on mine!

Most Reliable Diesel Engine - xtrailman

Why bother asking which engine, then go on to say you haven't read anything negative yourself?

Why bother asking which engine, then go on to say you haven't read anything negative yourself?

Thought you might have meant one engine rather than the other.

Most Reliable Diesel Engine - corax

The Honda CRV 2.2 is also hondas most unreliable engine, from what i've read, and is leagues behind both VAG and Mazda in torque.

Mazda doesn't have a great reputation when it comes to diesel engines, which sadly seems to be affecting the latest ones too.

The PD engine can feel very different in terms of NVH depending on which car it's installed in. I always found that there was more refinement in larger cars with transverse engine layout like Passats or Superbs than there was in something like an Ibiza or Golf. It felt a bit rough in my old Audi 80 with it's longitudinal layout. It can also vary between the same models.

If you have a good one you need to hang on to it!

Most Reliable Diesel Engine - Armitage Shanks {p}

My 04 plate 307 110 hdi, with intercooler, is running well at 10 years old/115K miles but I may have been lucky! Also, it was misfuelled at 40K but has survived!

Most Reliable Diesel Engine - Ed V

You sound like someone who could link me to a site listing engine manufacturers, and the cars their engines power. e.g. Are Porsches powered by a Porsche engine, or e.g. Ricardo?

Am I right, and could you please?

Anyone a fan of the MG6 1.9 diesel?

Anyone a fan of the MG6 1.9 diesel?

Not many around !!

As at end of Sept 2013, only 86 1.9DTI's registered in the UK - of them 62 in 2013 and 22 in 2012.

Is it a completely new engine or based on something else ?

Edited by RT on 27/12/2013 at 10:19

Most Reliable Diesel Engine - Gibbo_Wirral

On the Peugeot forums theres quite a few engines on over 200,000 miles, on various models - from the 306 (XUD or dTurbo), the 307 (90bhp) and the 407 (2.0 diesel).

I don't think there's such as thing as a "reliable engine", its all down to how its looked after and that the correct oil is used.

Cant find any info on the MG6 1.9 Diesel.

How can they afford to make them on such a small economy of scales?

Most Reliable Diesel Engine - Cluedo

Have to disagree with Toyota diesels being relaible - a relarive as all kinds of problems with his D4D although he does do low mileage whoch may contirbute to the issues.

Interestingly Toyot ahave reverted to buying BMW diesel engines as part of a technology swap programme which would suggest they have more faith in BMW diesel units rather their own.

Most Reliable Diesel Engine - gordonbennet

Have to disagree with Toyota diesels being relaible - a relarive as all kinds of problems with his D4D although he does do low mileage whoch may contirbute to the issues.

Still THE vehicle of choice, eg Landcruiser/Hilux complete with its Diesel engine, in parts of the world where if your vehicles dies so do you.

If Toyota really are going to use BMW Diesels, it will be intersting to see if they recommend startship mileage servicing as the maker does, instead of their usual conservative sense.

Most Reliable Diesel Engine - Collos25

Cant find any info on the MG6 1.9 Diesel.

How can they afford to make them on such a small economy of scales?

Production of the engine is a joint venture between Kunming-Yunnei and SAIC Motor. But the 1849cc engine has been thoroughly developed and calibrated by the Longbridge engineering team.

Taken from HJ car reviews