Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium 163 BHP - Brand new mondeo with diesel knock - d8414787

I bought a brand new Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium 163 BHP from a Ford dealer in April. I took care to run it in as the manual instructed and completed 1800 miles before I took it for it's first proper drive. I did a round trip 120 miles and worked the car fairly hard. The next morning I didn't have the stereo on and realised that it sounded like a transit when I accelerate over 3000rpm. I informed the dealer who did an engine management software update and told me to try it out. It is still the same and worst when cold. I need some advice as to what could be wrong, to take forward to the dealer. I don't want to get fobbed off as I don't think a new car should sound like this. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium 163 BHP - Brand new mondeo with diesel knock - unthrottled

Most diesels sound rather raucous at higher revs. You shouldn't be above 3000RPM for more than a couple of seconds anyway. Are you sure that you just don't have unrealistic expectations? Compression ignition engines are never going to sound like spark ignition ones.

Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium 163 BHP - Brand new mondeo with diesel knock - d8414787

This was the reason for my question, am I expecting too much? I had a Skoda Octavia before this and it had done 130,000 miles and never sounded like this one with 2,000 miles on the clock, this is my reason for asking. As for going above 3000rpm, well it's a matter of how you drive but for me personally I don't want to hear the engine sound like a transit every time I go to overtake, especially as it didn't sound like this before I took it for a decent drive. Thanks for getting back to me though.

Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium 163 BHP - Brand new mondeo with diesel knock - craig-pd130

I have a 3-year old 140 TDCI manual, and the engine does get quieter and less percussive with miles. Might be worth checking that the engine cover isn't loose in one corner & flapping, my previous Passat had the airbox intake snorkel work loose and that made a horrendous racket.

Above 3,000rpm mine is a little loud, too, but I very rarely need to take it that far anyway; the engine's done its best work by then.

Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium 163 BHP - Brand new mondeo with diesel knock - unthrottled

Sorry-didn't realise you'd had a diesel before. I briefly drove a 2008 1.8tddi and considered it unacceptably agricultural at all speeds-including idle. It was a blessed relief to go into overrun just for a few sconds of respite from the clattering! I would have thought a top end TDCi should be comparable to the old v dub though.

Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium 163 BHP - Brand new mondeo with diesel knock - ddr

I have a mk3 mondeo diesel, and it only sounds transit van-ish when cold (this is the old transit noise, because newer ones have the same engine as the mondeo!).

Once warm enough (within less than a mile), and at speeds above idle, you could not tell whether it was petrol or diesel really. And it doesn't get particularly loud at 3k or above.

Although your mk4 has an entirely different engine, it doesn't sound right. Perhaps you should ask the dealer to lend you a different mondeo for a while and see if it's the same? Or just take a test drive at any dealer.

I suppose I wasn't exactly clear with my post. I put down diesel knock but it's actually a tappet sound over the normal diesel sound. I'm going to take it to an alternative mechanic for a road test to make sure it's not just me! Also, I filled up at Tesco, so I intend to let the tank run down as far as possible and fill up with BP ultimate to see if there's a difference and I also noticed that the oil level has dropped to the half way mark. I don't know if it'll make a difference, as half way is safe enough but I'll ask the other mechanic whether I should top it up to the max. thanks to everyone for their input. I'll update the post with the outcome!