Test driving a new car - philomeena

Just had my first experience of a test drive for a brand new car from a main dealer. Very disappointed.

I arrive at the booked time and have to sit through a HPI check and inspection of my current car - even though I hadn't even mentioned part-ex or a trade-in price (after all this he wouldn't even tell me the part-ex price; "not our policy until you agree to buy") and a mini unwanted finance speech (despite me saying twice I'm looking to pay cash in full)

Despite booking a specific engine model, well in advance, and clearly stating that was the model I wanted to try.. I turned up to a lesser model with the excuse "another customer has the other".

Then, after planning in my head a good route that would take about 20-30 mins taking in different road types and a bit of motorway, I was treated to being driven by the rep 5mins down the 30mph heavy traffic road and then being allowed to drive it back again to the showroom.

We got out, he parked the car and then just wandered back to his desk.

I have a few more test drives planned for the coming week but this has somewhat put me off a bit.
Is this the norm or did I just get a bad salesman?
Do I need to be more assertive in the actual routing and say "but I want to go that way!" ??

Edited by philomeena on 16/05/2011 at 10:49

Test driving a new car - veryoldbear

Sounds as though he was just working out his notice ...

Test driving a new car - Collos25
If you are spending all that money you should have the car you want and go were you want.

Thats what I thought.

I called into a different dealer the other week and was asking about a car. He said he could run me up the street and back just to get a feel of it.
I thought that was fair enough as I'd just wandered in unannounced.

Yesterday I'd actually booked a test drive so I expected a bit more. We're talking a top spec £20K-ish model here. Maybe he just thought I was a timewaster?

Test driving a new car - concrete

Hello philomeena, I bet you a £1 to pinch of horse manure the saleman's boss would not be amused by what you described. I would be tempted to telephone the dealership and ask to speak to the sales director. They will try not to put you through, but tell them you wish to complain and you will only speak to him/her or the local newspaper or Honest John of the Daily Telegraph. Arrange to go and see him/her and ask him/her to have the test vehicle you specifically want, available for a meaningful test drive, of a couple of hours. There is no need for such shoddy service these days. For a £20K sale most garages would do somersalts to get your order. Have a go at them, shame the man involved and see what happens. You may even have some fun doing it. Let us all know what happens. Good luck, Concrete.

Test driving a new car - craig-pd130

Bad salesperson, I think. After you'd pre-booked the car you wanted, that's shoddy service.

With a bit of pre-booking I recently had a Volvo for a 24+ hour test drive from a dealer. The car was delivered to my work and collected again the following day, they insured it, I did around 200+ miles of motorway and local driving.

I already quite fancied the car, and being able to drive it alone in the types of duty my cars normally see (commuting, dad's taxi, and motorway trips) plus the dealer's service sold me on it.

Test driving a new car - outlier

Not a "bad" salesman but not a salesman at all.

Just play the game until the end then offer a cash price much lower than you originally indicated. When he asks for the full price that is time to play some pre-recorded laughter (or put some chattering teeth on the table).

Then tell him thanks for the test drive and you liked the car a lot, stress how useful it was because car brokers don't usually offer that facility but do offer much lower prices. Indeed you will recommend this facility to all your friends.

Test driving a new car - WellKnownSid

Perfectly normal experience. Usually goes something like this:

You walk in and request a test drive of the 1.7 HXi 4x4. The salesperson glances up from facebook and whilst gently closing his desk drawer containing the keys to the forty seven 1.7 HXi 4x4 demo cars all sat in the back yard, calmly says "Sorry, we haven't got one in at the moment, can you make Thursday week?"

If you play the game and agree, you'll be rewarded with a test drive ten days later... of the 1.4 JXe 4x2!

Test driving a new car - Pat L

Definitely let sales manager know how poor your experience was. The actions of the lazy salesman you encountered could lead to the eventual closure of the dealership at a time when competition for your money is fierce. If the sales manager fails to act, then .. well, they deserve all they get.

Not all dealers are like this. Keep looking.

Test driving a new car - daveyjp

For my last car I wandered in to the showroom unannounced. A car similar to what I wanted was on the forecourt, but I made it plain the one on the front was the wrong spec and was more than I wanted to spend - but a run would give me an idea of the engine/gearbox combination

Within 15 minutes it was road ready with trade plates. Went off to fuel station and then went on a mixed drive. After 45 minutes we were back at the showroom. He then spent 30 minutes trying to find the car I wanted.

The OP obviosuly went to a garage where too many buyers just write cheques and aren't bothered about driving vehicles.

Test driving a new car - gordonbennet

Classic behaviour from a chain dealership or car supermarket operation...take heart though, imagine if you'd made the mistake of buying from them and something went wrong after they'd banked your money.

Go find some small family owned dealerships, they are still around in all makes, they want proper customers and they want to keep them, you will not be forgotten the instant they have you money either.

Test driving a new car - turbo11

I have test driven quite a few cars over the years. Having already pre planned the route I want to travel to test the vehicle, I always inform the salesman before hand.I f there is any reluctance, I walk away to another dealership. The Mazda 6 I purchased in 2004 and the Mazda 3 my wife tested in 2007 were driven on our own, without and sales staff present. Both were brand new(less than 5 miles on the clock) The manager just passed us the keys and off we went.The Mazda 6 I drove for an hour and a half, covering over 50 miles, and the 3 for around 20 miles. They did get our business, unlike a couple of other dealerships who made a test drive hard work.

Test driving a new car - jamie745

I test drove a car costing £1,200 from an independant used dealer once who behaved in the same way, telling me i cant go where i want etc, i parked up at the side of the road about 2 miles from his showroom, got out, chucked him the keys and walked off.

Test driving a new car - unthrottled

I think that's just rude. Put yourself in the dealer's position; they don't know you from Adam. As far as they're concerned, you might come across as a tyre kicker who wants to try out other people's cars for fun. The test drive is just to check that the car works as it should-not a joyride.

Years ago, one manufacturer offered weekend test drives. A certain very fat motoring journalist thought it a good idea to advise readers of his column to avail themselves of this offer as a form of free car hire. Guess what happens when people abuse an offer-the offer is withdrawn to the detriment of genuine buyers.

Test driving a new car - jamie745

If i was looking to try out cars for fun, dont you think i'd have done it in the £5k BMW 530 he had on his lot? Or maybe the Nissan Skyline kept under lock and key and viewed by appointment only? Or the Mondeo ST24? And not in the cheap Mondeo 1.8 LX? I guess that proves not everything can be learned in the Glasses guide (the car dealers bible).

Perhaps i didnt go into enough detail earlier, the dealership was in a back road in a town, all i wanted to do was the basic things to test a car, such as get out onto a bypass, get it up into 5th and see how it does at speed, easier to find out if it pulls to one side etc and always a good idea to give it a good run as you have no idea how long its been sat there not moving, on top of this i wanted to go down an empty deserted piece of road somewhere to see if it brakes in a straight line when braking suddenly, basic stuff which when buying a cheap used car with no history everybody should be doing. I could of course of failed to do this, bought the car, you know, to save being rude, and later on ended up having to break suddenly and veer off into a lake, but hey ho, at least the dealer wouldnt think i was being rude.

But he wanted me to sit in town traffic with it and to be done as soon as possible, considering he had 4 members of staff on the lot and zero customers when i arrived and the car had half a tank of petrol, i couldnt see why he was in such a rush.

I therefore concluded there was something he didnt want me to know about it, and tossed him his keys.

If you think i was being unfair by not wanting to buy a ten year old tin box on wheels, something im going to be going 70mph in, with no history and no idea what its done on the basis of a 5 minute park up at traffic lights and actually wanting to resarch it then i have to say thats unreasonable. I think iwas being perfectly fair. You say the dealer didnt know me from Adam, well the same could be said from my point of view about the car.

Test driving a new car - bonzo dog

I know of people (personally, not from hearsay) who have allowed the customer to take a drive where they want to go.

A couple of miles away in a very dodgy area, the customer stops the car "to look around it" whereupon a few of his mates appear, tell the saleman to XXXX off & they then steal the car.

Ask yourself this question:- if you were selling your car privately, would you allow a potential customer to take it where he wants to?

If it's my car, you can drive it where I want you to & if you buy it you can drive it where you want to.

Test driving a new car - injection doc

My own experience of buying new cars on the whole is appalling. Some of the high end dealerships are really bad if you walk in, in jeans and T shirt !

Audi, BMW & Merc I have found the worst. When I bought a Carlton GSI 24v new the dealer wouldnt even show me the cars and insisted we went through all teh finance first ! ( that i didnt want as was paying cash ) I rang and wrote to the dealership and they defended the actions of the dealership saying they were overwhelmed with time wasters ! I had a dealer 29 miles away who drove one to my house, i test drove and ordered and they delivered it week later.

I had the same experince buying a new X type sport Jag and had to drive 120 miles to a dealer that would take me seriously ! Interestingly at the time couldnt do the deal on a sunday ( some law) ordered on the Monday and collected on the thursday and went back to the dealer that told me the brouchures cost £2.50 each and wouldnt give me a test drive! ( i had advised him i was serious and was ready to order there and then !). When i turned up it really peed them off , i wnet in and saw the sales manager and got a free 12,000 service.

I dont know what gets into some of these dealers ! they dont deserve the business.

Test driving a new car - bonzo dog

Hi philomeena, I suspect he wasn't convinced you were serious about buying, but simply window shopping (& believe you me, there are plenty of those):-

1. Did you tell him you were not PXing? Assuming when he asked, you said you would be, then it is understandable he would want to look at your car; he is buying yours just like you are buying his.
  2. Did you tell him you had a few more test drives to do? Where they a similar type & price of car?
  3. Are you looking to buy now or at some specific point in the future? & did you tell him?

If after test driving the other cars you are still interested in this one, call him back & tell him you want a good half-hours drive in a variety of conditions & that if you like it you will buy one; & that in order to make sure you are not wasting his time you want the PX price now so you know the finances are affordable. If he refuses then tell him there are plenty of other dealers of the same franchise around & then e-mail (I find it woks better) one of his directors. Good luck

Thanks guys. Some good points. I'm planning another TD from a different dealer (different brand) at the weekend so we'll see how that goes.

There does seem to be two distinct viewpoints.

[quote]The test drive is just to check that the car works as it should-not a joyride[/quote]

Cannot agree with that I'm afraid.
I'm spending a huge amount of money on a car that I intend to keep for years. I want to compare cars so I'd like to know how they feel and drive a bit not just that they 'work'

Test driving a new car - gordonbennet

Cannot agree with that I'm afraid.
I'm spending a huge amount of money on a car that I intend to keep for years. I want to compare cars so I'd like to know how they feel and drive a bit not just that they 'work'

Agreed, how many people test drive cars fitted with the gearbox from hell, the automated manual of various names, by adhering to the pre planned perfect little five minute route the dealer prefers. An hour after taking delivery of the heap they realise what a mistake that was.

The dealer's perfect test drive will be a smooth road with little traffic and few junctions, no hill starts, no overtaking, and definately no manoeuvering, basically round the block.