Volvo V50 - DPF Identification - Er?

Hello - My apologies if this has been done to death, but I seem to remember reading here once that there is a way of identifying whether a V50 has a liquid or solid DPF. (I have searched, but cannot find the thread.) If I have read rightly, the solid ones are for the lifetime of the car and the liquids need maintenance and replacement at 36k and 72k. I guess the solid is therefore preferable. Anybody know the vin code that identifies this? Thanks. Also, whilst I'm here, anything else I should be careful about? Looking to buy a SE D5 Geartronic.

Volvo V50 - DPF Identification - Collos25
Those with liquid have pipes going to the CAT and a tank underneath.
Volvo V50 - DPF Identification - unthrottled

All particulate traps are 'solid'. However, some of them use Eolys fluid as a catalyst which reduces the temperature required for soot burn off. The fluid is pricey but I think the idea is sound and not something to avoid. DPF regeneration without Eolys can be sensitive to driving style. I don't know off-hand if the V50 uses Eolys-sorry.

Volvo V50 - DPF Identification - craig-pd130

I'm fairly sure that the 5-cylinder Volvo diesel engines in the D5 all use a catalyst-coated DPF (no Eolys fluid needed) which is meant to last the car's lifetime.

I believe it was the models using the Focus-sourced 2.0 TDCI 4-cylinder lump that had the additive-based DPF system.

Yes, having looked into it a bit more, it appears that the D5 doesn't use Eolys, but as mentioned this does mean getting it up to temp. to avoid 'blocking'. Decisions, decisions! I did find out that some Volvo diesels (not sure if both the D5 and the Ford ones or just the Ford's) do not have DPF - both Euro III and Euro IV. Thanks for the replies. Any more advice greatly appreciated.

Is it a new or used D5 you're looking at?

Latest-generation coated DPFs seem to be pretty reliable. My experience over the last 3+ years with a Mondeo TDCI has been positive with no DPF issues, and around 60-70% of my driving is urban work at under 40mph.

I do make some concessions to DPF cleanliness: using 3rd gear in town (the engine feels happier at 30mph in 3rd, anyway) and the car does get a 10+ mile run every couple of weeks to get things hot.

Hello Craig. Thanks for this. I'm looking at used - a 06,07 or 08. Problem is, you get so much contradictory information. Some say don't buy diesel for city driving, some say rubbish, it's fine. I'm mainly city, with occasional distance driving and like you, I guessed I could go for a good 'burn' to get it up to temp every couple of weeks. What I am most interested in is the fact that apparently, there are D5s without any sort of DPF and you can tell via the vin. I think it's the eigth character. If 3 it's Euro III without, if 4 it's Euro IV without and if 5 it's Euro IV with.

Your best bet for this sort of stuff is probably the UK Volvo Owners' forums.

I should add that when I do 60-70% urban driving, that's journeys of less than 5 miles, so the temp gauge is scarcely registering.

According to the DPF doom-mongers, my car should have either a) drowned in its own diesel-diluted sump oil or b) self-immolated with runaway combustion a long time ago.

The Ford coated-DPF implementation seems to be very robust. And remember that Volvo was owned by Ford until recently .... hopefully some of the know-how might have been shared.

I know that the latest (2010 / 2011) DPF-equipped Volvo 5-cyl diesels do have a DPF warning light in the dash that illuminates to tell you that you need to go for a longer drive to start a regeneration. The owner's handbook says this can happen as frequently as every 200 miles, according to usage.

I don't know if the model years you're looking at will have this, see if you can find an owner's handbook online or similar.

craig pd130-I agree that the scaremongering over DPF has reached feverish levels of hysteria-but behind every myth is a grain of truth. The best chance of trouble free motoring is obtained by picking the appropriate tool for the job. By your own admission, the temperature gauge barely gets moving on most of the journeys you do. Why pick a diesel for this sort of duty when a petrol is more suited to the task? if your annual mileage is low, it's not as if the cost difference between 40 and 50mpg amounts to much anyway.

Fair point - but I do 12,000 miles per year, even though the majority of my driving is short runs. The Mondeo has averaged a true 42mpg over the 36K miles I've had it, measured at the pumps, not on the trip computer.

What would the 2 litre petrol equivalent have given me? I reckon I'd be lucky to average 30mpg in the same driving conditions ... not to mention the differences in driving characteristics.

And as a company car driver, BIK tax is a big factor too. My next car is a V60 D3. Under £2K per year BIK. The petrol equivalent, the T4, would be £2,400 per year BIK, not to mention steeper fuel bills.

I agree DPFs have proven to be a problem in the past couple of years. At best, they add yet more complex componentry to go wrong. But the same was said about catalytic converters when they were introduced in '92. I remember Top Gear etc fulminating about £1000 bills for shattered cat cores from driving over speed bumps, etc etc. Who even thinks about cats now?

DPFs will get more reliable. And petrol cars are getting steadily more complex too, with the move to direct injection, increasing turbo usage etc.

My 3.5 mile commute isn't good for ANY conventional car ... it's a shame I'll have to wait until my next lease for the next generation of hybrids :-/

Can't argue with much of that-except by comparing a 2.0l petrol with a 2.0l diesel. A typical 1.6 turbo petrol will match the output of a typical 2.0l turbo diesel-and the difference in consumption will be less marked.

Mind you at 12,000 miles pa you must be doing a lot of short journeys-which is equivalent to one long commute. Buses and taxis do predominantly town work and they don't seem to have many problems. It's a 4 mile commute in the morning and a 4 mile commute in the evening with little else that makes me uneasy.

I'm not anti DPF-the traps make a massive difference to particulate emissions. But it does need a bit of sympathy from the user. Too many people think a diesel is just like a petrol but with 30% knocked off the fuel bill under all conditions, and it isn't.

Thank you both. I too do fairly little mileage and have considered petrol - the 2.4i V50, but with an automatic transmission, it only gives 20 (urban) to the gallon as opposed to the D5's 30. There doesn't seem to be a big enough difference in price bewteen the two models to justify the drop in mileage.