Ford Focus LX 1.6 TDCI MKII (07) - injector replacement recoding - caveman30

Hi,

Do you need to reprogram the ecu after replacing injectors on Focus MKII 1.6tdci when siemens injectors are used instead of ford?

I have had some injector issues with my ford focus lx 1.6tdci. Initially my car developed a knocking noise and white and black smoke started coming out and subsequently would not start once I stoped to check. After the garage checked it they replaced number 1 injector as it failed the leak check. I go a full service at this point aswell as it was due. Car seemed to run ok for a few days

4 days later the car developed more of a loud rattle which only happened when warm initialy but progressively got worse. White smoke developed and I Brought the car back and the mechanic said number 1 and 2 injector had gone and replaced them with siemens injector.

At this stage I asked if he reprogrammed the ecu as I would think that this needs to be done otherwise the engine management system would act up and injectors could fail again. He said for siemens injectors you dont need to and not being that knowledgeable about common rail i left it at that.

My car is developing a rattle sound again and think its down the injectors and the ecu not being reprogrammed as I would think the engine management would just not be able to work correctly without doing so.

Bringing the car back to mechanics today and looking for some advice or opinions.

Thanks for any help in advance.

caveman30.

Ford Focus LX 1.6 TDCI MKII (07) - injector replacement recoding - injection doc

The injectors themselves are not coded on the 1.6 TDCi but the ECU does need to be reset to relearn the new injectors.

Hi

Thanks for your reply. By reset, do you mean the ecu just needs to be reset or that the codes on the injectors need to be inputed into the ecu? The injectors he showed me had no codes on them but he did say other injector types need the ecu to be recoded with the numbers but not the bosch ones.

He showed me ones and there were no codes to be seen to input into the ecu as ive read for other cars.

It just seems strange to me that some injectors need the ecu to code in the number on the injector and others do not.

Cheers again hopefully the ecu reset will sort out my issues but the engine still sounded rattly, i mean more so than usual for a diesel.

Hi

UPdate is that it was Bosch injectors which were used not siemens and he checked and said they dont need to be recoded. The garage checked the computer and there were several error codes.

He saved them and cleared them. They did not come back. He said to drive it for a day and come back in the next day to get it rechecked. Also fitted the car with a recorder which i thought was pretty good to store the engine records when a fault occurs.

Fingers crossed the cods just needed clearing but from reading other peoples posts i think some sensors have gone but will get an update tomorrow.

Hi,

I had several issues driving yesterday. My cruise control no longer worked. The engine sounded like it was shaking itself to bits and struggling and every now and again when i started her a steering wheel power assist error came on with the rev counter dropping to near 0.

BUt these were intermittant as if I turned the car off and turned the car back on again the car seemed to start fine with little issue.

I brought it to the garage and there was several new errors showing on the ecu.

• Bus failure - ecu data bus failure,
  • Break sensor error
  • Accelerator sensor error
  • Clutch sensor error,

No power assist error even though thats the only message I have seen flash up on the dash screen since my problems started.

Yesterday i was getting mass flow errors and accelerator errors.

Decision so far is to replace the break and clutch sensor and see if this clears the errors as it sounds like these are confusing the ECU.

Has anybody ad any similar trouble with their car?

Cheers

Caveman30