mazda 6 2008 2.0tdi - Should a potential car buyer ask a 100 questions?? - Med

Hi People, just a quicky.

Do you think that a potential customer purchasing a new/used car is required to ask the dealer about the technology inside the car, for example - On the Diesel Particulate Filter? and what driving styles have to be changed for.

If the potential customer does not ask these questions and then the technology fails for any reason, would it be the manufacturers/dealers fault for not warning the customer of the technology? or is it simply the customers fault for not researching into the car first?

Should the sales person be trained on laws being letting customers know important things about the product?

mazda 6 2008 2.0tdi - Should a potential car buyer ask a 100 questions?? - jamie745

I think by all means ask anything you like, and if the dealer or salesperson has done their homework on it they should be able to give you the answers. But information on the DPF will be in the cars handbook and the sales person should give you the normal line about not using it primarily for short journeys to help its regeneration etc but there is no way that if it were to fail under warranty they'd be able to say "we're not fixing it because you didnt ask." And nor would you be able to claim in the future that its the manufacturers fault if it fails either. Unless something related to it is brought to attention as a defect and theres a recall etc.

In short, research everything, ask everything, dont take salesmans answer, go away and verify whatever they say and speak to people who own/drive such cars and get their opinions.

mazda 6 2008 2.0tdi - Should a potential car buyer ask a 100 questions?? - Med

Whilst i was no protuding a lie, i have already bought the car in August 2009 and had it 10 months before an engine run-away, Mazda have failed to do anything about it and blamed me for not knowing about the DPF system which has been proven it failed and caused an engine run-away which caused a frightful experience.

I asked because a few people scouting the forums say they work for dealers and that its the customers fault for not asking. Take a look:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?216874-Mazda-Life-Threatening-Defects-My-Fault!-Say-Mazda(1-Viewing)-nbsp

A lot to read through but page 5 & 6 is where the debate continues on the basis of government forcing the technology on manufacturers and the guy who believes its the customers problem for not asking the dealer the questions.

In no sales literature does it mention about the DPF, why would it?? i believe by law it should be forced in the sale info but why would it?? it wont sell the car but it shouldnt mean the customer has purchased a car that is not fit for its purpose that they bought it for.

Edited by Med on 17/04/2011 at 00:55

mazda 6 2008 2.0tdi - Should a potential car buyer ask a 100 questions?? - Avant

We have to keep a hold on reality here. Buyers are protected by the Sale of Goods Act in cases of faults existing at the time of purchase, but you can't expect a salesman paid to sell cars to say, for example, 'Don't buy this model - it's got a DPF'.

It is reasonable for a salesman to advise customers to choose petrol rather than diesel if their journeys are primarily in town (as they will have trouble with the DPF), but even then I wouldn't suggest a law to enforce it, because (a) we have too much legislation already, and (b) this one would be impossible to operate in practice, as every customer is different.

mazda 6 2008 2.0tdi - Should a potential car buyer ask a 100 questions?? - gordonbennet

In my experience someone who sells an item, whatever it is, is the Last person you should ask for the truth...rare and valued exceptions to this as in every walk of life.

The 'net has been good for getting information about nearly everything, do your research and lots of it before going anywhere near a showroom.

20 years ago you'd be relying on localish word of mouth, or trusting a motoring journalist to tell the inside truth about cars...unlikely to be a motoring journalist for long then.

I have a list of people the word of which i disregard; in order...politicians, sales staff, journalists, celebrities...if you assume they have a vested interest and not to be trusted you won't go far wrong....several other groups could be added to that list, some obvious some not so.

mazda 6 2008 2.0tdi - Should a potential car buyer ask a 100 questions?? - injection doc

what about those people buying a car that dont know the first thing about cars and wouldnt even know what a DPF is ! My parents wouldnt have a clue ! if they find a car thats comfortable and they can both drive it then normally they will buy it. They are past the age of research on the net !

I think that with issues that cars now suffer from , sales should be controlled like finance is, and a record kept of conversations and the customer having to sign to say they have been fully informed and accepted the conditions as with finance. Thus making sure that the sales has been fully expalined.

When my father purchased his Meriva auto it was not explained on collection that he had to switch the engine off in gear ( instead of netruel ) otherwise the car would be soley reliant on the handbrake as he found to his cost when he parked on his driveway and it rolled away and demolished a wall ! ( Switching the engine off whilst an auto is in gear still is the reverse out how he had been driving for over 60 years !

mazda 6 2008 2.0tdi - Should a potential car buyer ask a 100 questions?? - RT

I never ask sales people technical questions - they're the least well equipped to answer them accurately - at least that's my experience over the last 40 years!

The vehicle owners manual should give all necessary information - the onus is on the owner to read it but few do - no amount of legislation/regulation will work in those conditions.

Edited by RT on 17/04/2011 at 12:08

mazda 6 2008 2.0tdi - Should a potential car buyer ask a 100 questions?? - daveyjp

The decision whether to buy a modern diesel is now easier than ever.

There is one question to ask yourself.

"Will I be doing a minimum of 15,000 miles per year with lots of high speed runs for every year I own the car?"

If the answer is "no/don't know" buy a petrol.

After over 10 years of diesels I've just changed back to a petrol.