Ford Mondeo - 1.8 Preg Mondeo engine -cooling & electrics - kcsi05

Hi we have a P plate 1.8 GLX Mondeo, which has several issues

1. About a week back as the weather improved (i.e. it was warm) sat in traffic for 10-15mins and car started to get very hot (hit L on Normal) and no fan action at all. At same time ABS and (P) lights came on when the car went above 1500rpm and then when stopped they would go back out.

2. Having checked all levels and (my bad) sorted a couple of slightly low ones, car had been behaving but still no fans. 3 days later slight smell like smouldering rubber but no other drastic issues. When using the air con you can hear a fan going but was on the road so not had a chance to check under bonnet to see if main fans kicked in.

3. Went to start car this morning and nothing!! Dash lights appear and are slightly dim. Have tried jump starting off another car but no joy. Auxillary belt appears slightly crazed but reasonably taut, (belt twists a little - not sure if modern ones are suppose to though?) all relevent relays and fuses are intact. When turning the key you can hear the relays clicking in the engine fuse box.

Please help!!

Ford Mondeo - 1.8 Preg Mondeo engine -cooling & electrics - piston power

Have you a voltage in the battery above 12.4vdc? if not charge it up.

Have you dashboard lights when you turn the key?

Does the starter click at the solonoid?

Make sure you have a good clean earth from the battery to the car body.

dashboard lights all work with the key turned.

Battery seems fine ( volts read okay and no change when connected for a jump start)

can hear something clicking under the bonnet when attempting to start -no sure if that is one of the relays though

going to clean up the earth in a min -going to try disconnecting and reconnect the battery (if only it is going to be that simple! --me not hold my breath!)

Ford Mondeo - 1.8 Preg Mondeo engine -cooling & electrics - Peter.N.

Sounds like a possible poor earth connection to the engine, check the thick lead from the battery, it should be connected to the engine somewhere, check that it is and that its tight.

checking that -the PATS thing is flashing code 11 (i think although this has only just started doing that wasn't doing that a minute ago :(