Noisy golf rear brakes - spoiler
Recently, the rear brakes (pads\discs) on my Mk2 golf gti have started making an odd grinding nosie. Initially, I thought it was the rear caliper seizing up & causing binding, but having jacked up both wheels the bot spun freely.

The pads are wearing low, but not enough to get the meatl on metal noise.

Also noticed that it is only apparent at low speeds (when crawling in traffic) & doesn't occur until they've warmed up a bit.

Odd thing is that if i pull the handbrake on slightly, the noise disappears.

The discs are a bit rusty on one side, so i'm going to change them this weekend.

Could it be just down to the rusty discs, or something else???
Noisy golf rear brakes - blank
u say the pads are low and the discs rusty.

Could the back plate of the pad be catching on the rusty edge of the disc? Sounds quite likely to me.

I presume you'll change the pads as well as the discs!

hth
Andy
Noisy golf rear brakes - Peter D
Rear bearing end float may be causing the rubbing/grinding and the handbake is just pulling them back in line a little. Sound like a thorough check/clean plus new pads and either face or replace the discs. Cheap enough from Europarts. Peter
Noisy golf rear brakes - spoiler
Yep, was going to replace both pads & discs. I've jacked up both rear wheels & didn't notice any excessive bearing movement.

I just found the noise a little odd, i was sure it was down to a brake binding, but it wasn't. Then applying the handbrake a little stopping the noise confused me further.

Hopefully i'll find out when i strip it down at the weekend.
Noisy golf rear brakes - madf
possibly partially seized caliper? Often gives problems.
madf
Noisy golf rear brakes - simonsmith473©
Could well be a part seized rear caliper.On the early girling rear calipers (mk2 golf and audi) the handbrake mechanism is prone to failure.