skoda superb saloon 1.9TDi 130PD - skoda superb cam belt change - concrete

I know there are some knowledgable people out there on the subject of VW diesels, so some advice would be welcome. My Superb has covered over 120K miles in the last 5 years, virtually trouble free. It will soon be due a second cam belt change. I do not know what Skoda recommend but HJ recommends a fair few other parts are replaced at the same time. I am willing to err on the side of caution and follow best practice, even if it costs a bit more. I intend to keep this excellent vehicle for as long as possible and have always had it dealership maintained in every respect. This has meant a good relationship with the dealer and possibly some good will if required in the future. If the dealer says that the other parts are not normally changed with the cambelt should I insist on the work being done anyway? Your comments would be appreciated. Concrete.

skoda superb saloon 1.9TDi 130PD - skoda superb cam belt change - 659FBE

I changed mine at about this time last year.

Without question, change the belt, tensioner and the small anti-flutter idler on the cambelt. These all come as part of a Contitech kit if you are using non OE components. Change the water pump preferably for a pattern part as the OE pumps have a self-destruct plastic impeller. I fitted a KWP pump - no problems so far. Use only the specified G12 coolant.

Ensure that, without fail, the person changing the belt has the correct engine locking tools and fully understands how to change and tension the belt without locked-in torque. The camwheel is on slotted holes relative to its hub to allow this.

At the mileage you have reached, change both polyvee aux drive belts and examine very critically the tensioner wheels. The larger tensioner wheel on the hydraulically damped swing arm is plastic and insubstantial.

Finally, consider changing the alternator pulley. It has a one way clutch in it which fails at about the mileage yours has covered. Damage to the larger polyvee drive will result from drive oscillation if you run the engine with a seized pulley. This last suggestion can be done at any later stage as the alternator is very accessible - as long as you know how to move the fan shaft forwards.

Don't let any monkeys loose on this excellent engine - one of the very best diesels ever made in my view.

skoda superb saloon 1.9TDi 130PD - skoda superb cam belt change - concrete

Thanks 659. I agree with your statement about this engine. It is as sweet as nut even after all these miles, 90% motorway stuff though, which I am sure helps. I have noted your recommendations and will follow them through. I only use my local Skoda main dealer, who are very good. They did the first replacement cambelt at 65K so they should know what they are doing. I wonder how they will react to me requesting a non VW part for the water pump. Will let you know of any adverse reaction. The Alternator is quite new, the only major part to have failed so far. A new one was fitted about 10K miles ago so this should be alright. I see the same technician every time my car is serviced. He has been with them for 12 years and is always ready to explain and show what has been done. I have confidence in him and the dealership. I followed your advice previously about plenum chamber bungs and filter seals and the dealer was happy to do this. Many thanks again. Concrete

skoda superb saloon 1.9TDi 130PD - skoda superb cam belt change - Peter D

The plastic impeller was designed for the specific reason that it the car was very cold i.e. frozen/slushy coolant the impellor would fail rather then ripp the teeth of the cam bely and damge the valves with a huge repair bill. The were a batch of these pumps that failed prematurely but in general are perfectly reliable. I have no proof, but I have come across a couple of cases of the impeller letting go of the shaft and the car has been filled with the incorrect coolant a year before. Always use G12+ coolant. Regards Peter

skoda superb saloon 1.9TDi 130PD - skoda superb cam belt change - craig-pd130

For what it's worth, I found that my local VAG main dealer was a little bit cheaper than my local trusted independent for a cambelt change. It's a big job, involving quite a bit of dismantling around the front of the car.

I went with the main dealer as I felt they would have the special locking tools etc.

My Passat PD130 was a *tiny* bit quicker afterwards, perhaps a savvy mechanic had optimised the camwheel positioning ...
skoda superb saloon 1.9TDi 130PD - skoda superb cam belt change - Peter D

And using genuine OEM parts gives you a 2 year warrantee which even covers the labour. Regards Peter

skoda superb saloon 1.9TDi 130PD - skoda superb cam belt change - 659FBE

Hindsight is a wonderful thing when maintaining vehicles - but I have one overriding principle which is to go some way to avoid known trouble points.

The VAG water pumps were made with plastic impellers either to save weight (they went through a "funny phase" of doing this a few years ago) or to cheapen the manufacture of a part with a complex shape. Either way, these pumps have not distinguished themselves in service. It is absolutely unthinkable that any good Teuton would operate his machine with the incorrect coolant strength...

If you're "lucky" the impeller comes loose on the steel shaft and the car overheats - sometimes. The PD is so efficient that unless working fairly hard, it will manage quite well without a working water pump. If you're not so lucky, the impeller breaks up and jams the pump. As it's cambelt driven this causes drive failure and wrecks the engine.

The OEM "warranty" will not cover consequential damage and a belt driven water pump is hardly a high tech item. There are relatively few suppliers of the vital spindle/bearing + seal assembly and VAG don't make these anyway. My KWP pump has an SKF bearing which will do nicely for me.

I must say in defence of VAG that the "plastic" pump I took out of my AWX was in perfect condition.

Edited by 659FBE on 11/03/2011 at 17:37