Astra diesel cold starting - quietman
Hi guys I need your advice concerning bad starting with an Astra diesel
I replaced the starter motor as it was sluggish to start whether hot or cold. It now turns over fine and when hot starts first time and, although it seems to lack a bit of acceleration, it cruises fine with no sign of smoke. The problem is cold starting. I give it 2/3 short bursts and you can hear it close to starting but when it does eventually catch it picks up very slowly, with a tiny bit of vibration, sounds slightly like it is running uneven, and kicks out quite a bit of smoke until it picks up. Once warmed up slightly -no problem. The glow plugs are new so there should be sufficient heat. I have a new air and fuel filter to fit in case there is a blockage in the airflow or moisture in the fuel but would appreciate any advice as to other potential solutions

Allan
Astra diesel cold starting - Cambridge
Sounds like glow plugs.
Check that all four work. Even if they are new they can fail after a week or after ten years - a bit like bulbs.
I do this using a spare battery and some bits of wire. Take car though, they get very hot.
Astra diesel cold starting - the conductor
i would say primer pump diaphram has gone. these are quite known to go when car gets old and allows air into fuel system. when car hot needs less fuel to fire as less fuel is absorbed by the cylinder bores. you can get these pattern bout £45
Astra diesel cold starting - Dizzy {P}
Allan,

Poor cold starting of Vauxhall/Isuzu diesels has been discussed here several times in the past so I suggest you do a search. One example that I have dropped on is:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=i&t=32...9