Any - Handbrakes - Trilogy

It's become apparent to me that fewer and fewer cars seem to be fitted with a handbrake. I wonder why this is the case. :)

Any - Handbrakes - 659FBE

A parking brake - usually hand operated, but can be foot or servo operated - is a requirement under the construction and use regulations.

Any - Handbrakes - Avant

True, but unfortunately the idiotic electronic parking brake seems to fall within the rules.

These devices are an answer to a problem that doesn't exist, are potentially dangerous when coupled with a manual gearbox, and can fail expensively. Although some people get used to them, there was nothing wrong with the mechanical handbrake in the first place.

Fortunately for you and me, 659, Skoda haven't yet gone down this route as have some VWs and Audis.

659 many of the general public are unaware their car is fitted with a handbrake.

Any - Handbrakes - TeeCee

> Skoda haven't yet gone down this route

Odd that. I used to live in CZ and nobody there ever uses the handbrake, even for parking, so Skoda are one brand who could fiddle around with 'em without anyone in their home market giving a stuff.

Any - Handbrakes - Armstrong Sid

Seems to be part of the same mentality which also causes manufacturers to not supply a proper spare wheel any more, just a space saver or a can of foam.

They seem to think that they know what the owners want, without asking them.

Two cases where an "improvement" is definitely not the case

I'm not driving at the fact handbrakes are now electonic. The lack of handbrake useage knowledge is much more noticeable in winter, or when it's dark and when it's raining. Most guilty drivers haven't a clue what a handbrake is for, or are too thick or inconsiderate to know.

Any - Handbrakes - ForumNeedsModerating

Agree about electronic handbrakes - a 'solution' in search of a non-existent problem in my view & another part to fail. Fail not only in the (overly) complicated mechanical sense, but also more electronics to get 'confused' or come under the purview on an ECU that may decide wrongly about application or status.

Not sure many people don't know about handbrake usage etc (the driving test can be failed without proper use/application of handbrake) - more a case of convenience: in stop-go conditions the ease & instantaniety of the main brake or footbrake is preferred - however against the HC or consideration for other drivers (blinding brake lights etc) that is.

Any - Handbrakes - Sofa Spud

Re. driving tests - I thought the rules said you cannot take your test in a car fitted with just an electric parking brake.

I thought C & U regulations state that a vehicle must have at least one MECHANICAL form of braking - e.g. handbrake, as well as mechanical sterring - hence power-assisted steering is commonplace but drive-by-wire or full power steering (e.g. hydrostatic) is not permitted for road vehicles, except farm tractors or JCB's etc.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 03/03/2011 at 11:33

Any - Handbrakes - gordonbennet
''as well as mechanical sterring - hence power-assisted steering is commonplace but drive-by-wire or full power steering (e.g. hydrostatic) is not permitted for road vehicles'',

And long may that be the case SS.

Any - Handbrakes - Bilboman

Electronic, "automatic" parking brakes (which all seem to work according to different criteria) are part of a larger conspiracy to dumb down all human processes and remove the driver's input from the driving process. A 21st century driver is now utterly pampered in a car where you don't need to change gear, brake in an emergency, maintain a safe distance, observe speed limit signs, keep within your lane markings, check your blind spot, hill start, reverse park, normal park, switch on your wipers or lights or even navigate your way round a new town, as there are machines, screens, beeps, lights and whistles to do it all for you.

There is, however, some fantastically useful technology which complements rather than replaces the driver's intelligence, and amongst these I would include tyre pressure sensors, reminders for seat belts and servicing schedules, bulb failure warnings, the almost ubiquitous "flick once for three flashes" feature on indicators and a few others. If basic cars could include all of these and a few more, then I think we could say that some real progress is being made. The other "extras" I would include are a clear visual warning that dipped beam is ON or OFF and mandatory oil level, coolant and screenwash level reminders.

Any more suggestions for "good technology" ?