Euro V diesels - ST Driver

Honest John mentions in his Peugeot 508 road test.

Peugeot only expects to sell 8,500 508s in the UK in a full year, split 50/50 saloon/SW and 80/20 diesel/petrol, though, once the public starts to catch on to the disadvantages of EU5 diesels, I expect a significant move back to petrol.

What are these disadvantages please? What are the petrol alternatives for high mileages?

Many thanks.

Euro V diesels - Armstrong Sid

The arguments against Euro V were explained by several people a few weeks ago

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=89552

Thanks for the link. It doesn't really say very nuch though! I was wondering if there was a diesel expert on here who could give the differences. I have a EU4 Mondeo (non DPF) do 20,000+ miles a year and was wondering what to replace it with. I suspect a diesel but don't really want to go down that road if I have to factor in new injectors (for instance) every 3 years. I have been replacing EGR valves every 25,000 miles in my Mk3 Mondeo!

Euro V diesels - john96

The logic behind what is being said here is that we should all buy petrol engined cars, accept the lower mpg, but avoid the inevitable big bill...

Or am I wrong??

Maybe, unless something major goes wrong I won't be changing mine for another 4-5 years anyway so I guess all will have changed and diesel cars will be on EU VIII regs!

Euro V diesels - Hamsafar

Just to be pedantic, roman numerals in this context are for commercial vehicles such as lorries and coaches.

Very sorry for using roman numerals. It is stamped in my sound deadening as IV. My CAR is not commercial though.

Euro V diesels - opahale

PSA claim to make some 5 million engines a year they exspect the ratio of diesel to petrol engines in europe to increase to 70%+ France,Belgium are now above 80%. A euro 4 2 Ltr straight 4 diesel engine costs 800 euro as against the petrol version costing 400 euro`s to make. The new euro 5 diesel will cost some 1600 euro`s to make. For that price they can make a very nice V6 petrol engine. However it is going to be what fuel`s are available that are going to control the market. BMW have a very nice euro 5 diesel 2 ltr engine now only it is a case of if you can afford the car. It is also claimed that the life of a euro 4 and euro 5 engine is dictated by the the user and the quality of the fuel he is tanking thus the aguement of VW, Bosch and shell over SHELL V.

Euro V diesels - madf

Hmm

When I see articles about the futiure of diesels..(which are only successful due to savings in fuel COSTS) ,,, and they ignore fuel PRICES.. then I treat them with the contempt they deserve.

Anyone think fuel prices are going to fall to £1 /litre? Thought not.

Or rise to £2 per litre?

Anyone like to forecast the future demand for cars doing under 50mpg when fuel is £2.50/litre? Hint: falling.

Euro V diesels - jc2

Not all EU countries tax diesel as highly as the UK.