Any - Tax Disc on car when Purchased - oldroverboy

I see in HJ's column about a reader who bought a car with an invalid tax disc and was fined £400 for this. Surely time for the Post office to do like the rest of the UK and not take cheques anymore for vehicle licensing. if you have a cheque book you have a debit card, and i feel that it was hard on the new owner, but he can sue the previous owner via the small claims court for the loss of the tax disk and the fine. I know that the DVLA are overworked and underfunded but it is hammering those who follow the rules, at least the guy bought a car which was taxed! As with Sorn for insurance, will catch a few forgettful people but the crew who don't bother with tax or insurance won't give a damn!

Simple solution for car registration is that you cannot cancel insurance until DVLA notified of change of owner. Post Office could do this in minutes for small fee if owner presents document and PO return it to DVLA. DVLA need to make it easier ti inform them of changes but in between times If you must do anything DVLA related pay the extra 75pence for recorded delivery, and keep a photocopy of what you send. It will save a lot of grief.

Perhaps another little earner for them could be if they check registration documents and licences against the electoral register, lots more £2000 fines and lots more people clogging up the court system!

Any - Tax Disc on car when Purchased - Falkirk Bairn

Tax disc should be £20 with big fines for not displaying - the £20 covers the cost of issuing and checking that the car is MoTd and insured . Fines of £500+ for no insurance / MoT.

Currently no MoT/Ins can often be £50 fine and 3 points which is nothing.

The real tax falls on petrol and diesel - 95% collected from say 12 major oil companies and avoidance almost nil.

Job Done