Ford Focus 1.6 LX TDCi - Turbo failure or block? - padds

I've had problems recently with My focus (82K on the clock). Coming back round the M25 it struggled to accelerate barely getting over 60mph. A mobile mechanic diagnosed a leaking injector which I had replaced. But the car still suffers from lack of acceleration power, struggling to get up hills at times. A local garage with a good reputation says the turbo has failed and quoted £800 to repair. However someone else has said it's a common problem for an injector to be blocked and all I need is to put some injector cleaner through and then 'thrash the engine' until it blows away the blockage. Has anyone else had this problem or know what it could be?

Ford Focus 1.6 LX TDCi - Turbo failure or block? - track

Turbos are a very common failure on this engine. If that is the case be sure your mechanic replaces or throughly cleans all associated pipework including oil pick and feed and the filter. They have a habit of leaving debris in the pipes and this kills the new turbo usually within 1000 miles!!

Take the intake pipe off the turbo yourself as its right at the front of the engine and check for any play in the turbo impellor shaft or excessive oil in the intake system. That will show if the turbo is at fault.

Ford Focus 1.6 LX TDCi - Turbo failure or block? - galileo

The variable vanes on the turbo may be stuck due to sooty deposits or the actuator may have failed - check if the actuator link moves when the accelerator is floored. In some cases it is posible to vclean and free up the moving vanes, provided the turbo itself is otherwise sound.