Vauxhall Astra H Sporthatch - overheating - dgfatty

i have n reg astra sport 1.8 16v that keeps overheating, when ive checked under the bonnet i can see and hear water escaping from the thermostat housing where it bolts on to the engine, i just want to know if it has a gasket or is the problem something else. thanx for your help

Vauxhall Astra - overheating - dgfatty
also the trip keeps telling me im out of oil and the light flickers when the engine revs drop, but when i check it theres plenty in it, any ideas. also its not an astra h sporthatch, its just an astra sport, my mistake, sorry

Edited by dgfatty on 06/02/2011 at 11:17

Vauxhall Astra - overheating - unthrottled

Does it have a stable idle? Oil pressure is dependent on RPM, and if the idle drops too low the oil pressure will drop and trigger a low oil pressure fault.

Vauxhall Astra Sport - overheating - dgfatty

ive just looked around on line and there is a gasket, but how likely would it to be just that, or shall i change my thermostat aswell? have noticed alot of steam coming from the exhaust when it gets hot, it very white and rises up into the air, does that mean my headgasket is ok?

Vauxhall Astra Sport - overheating - unthrottled

You can take the thermostat out and test to see if it is opening and closing by using a pan of hot water. Tbh, they're fairly cheap, and I'd be tempted to replace it anyway, if it is suspect.

Vauxhall Astra H Sporthatch - overheating - dgfatty

thanx for your help guys, but ive just been out to the car, and the head gaskets gone

Vauxhall Astra H Sporthatch - overheating - unthrottled
Sorry to hear that. But the overheating is almost certainly what caused the h/g to fail-they don't fail unless provoked. You need to cure the overheating problem, otherwise the h/g will go again and your work will be wasted. [sorry if that is obvious]