Airbag light won't go off on Astra TD - Microbike
Hi there,
Anyone know how to tackle an airbag light that won't go off? I'm guessing this is a main dealer job? Any chance I'm going to be out of pocket big time?
It's a 1999 T reg Astra 1.7 TD estate 65k, FSH.

Ta. Microbike.
Airbag light won't go off on Astra TD - Keith S
I've had a few cars do this. Normally after passengers on the rear seats have caught the seatbelt pretensioner wiring with their feet.

Have a look at those connections before going to a garage.
Airbag light won't go off on Astra TD - Dynamic Dave
Any garage with the correct diagnosis equipment (TEC 2, I think) should be able to sort this for you. They plug in the magic box of tricks and the cars ECU will tell them the fault. It's usually a wire fault somewhere. No idea of cost apart from a Main dealer will probably charge you around £12 just for the fault diagnosis.
Airbag light won't go off on Astra TD - NickS
whip the fuse out, happened on my mates dads cavalier and never had the problem again! :-)
Airbag light won't go off on Astra TD - Richard J
On my Cav 1.7TD (Isuzu), the airbag warning light comes on when the alternator diode pack is shot. Now on 3rd alternator in 8 yrs. Fault causes overvoltage. Are your panel lights brighter than usual, or heater fan running faster?
Airbag light won't go off on Astra TD - Dave_TD
Had that on my Mondeo, ABS light stayed on too, and it blew lightbulbs in a matter of days.
Airbag light won't go off on Astra TD - googolplex
I had exactly the same problem as RJ with the same make car. Airbag light wouldn't go out. Again, new alternator was the solution. Struck me as just being my luck that a silly light could lead to such a big garage bill.

Spodgeface
Airbag light won't go off on Astra TD - Andrew Scott
I had exactly the same problem with my 1997 Vectra, and the time it was only 3 months old. The local Vauxhall dealer plugged it into their diagnostic equipment (I believe) and pronounced the car needed a new ECU. This was fitted and the light caused no further problems.

2 Years later I was loaned as a courtesy car (one of the service staff's 'S Plated' Tigra) with the same problem, the member of staff seemed very surpised when I suggested it might be the ECU, he confirmed this was the case, they had the replacement ready,but hadn't get around to fitting it yet!

Sorry to be the pessimistic but your problem could be the ECU, but as Dynamic Dave says your first action needs to be a Vauxhall diagnostic test.
Airbag light won't go off on Astra TD - JohnD
My wife had this trouble with her Saxo 1.5D recently. She'd pushed her umbrella under the driver's seat. Once it was removed, things were back to normal.
Airbag light won't go off on Astra TD - tpac
Kept happening on my Shogun, was a clock spring or something....£400!!
Airbag light won't go off on Astra TD - gerryt
Looks like under the passenger seat is a favourite place, my Carisma did this when the wiring under the passenger seat got wet due to a water leak.