Formula Shell - ebseven
Having a long memory & a Vauxhall engine destroyed by this product I want to be sure that Shell Fuels are safe for me to use in my 93 Carlton 2.0 (Cat). (I've never used Shell products in her)...I know this may seem bizarre, but once bitten twice shy. Any comments/observations from other Vauxhall owners gratefully received.
Formula Shell - Dynamic Dave
Yes, I remember this stuff. I found that by alternating fill ups between Formula Shell and Esso was like filling my car with rocket fuel. UNTIL I read a report that Formula Shell allegedly burnt out the valves and valve seats on Vauxhall heads. I've never used Shell petrol since. Partly because of the alleged claim, and also the local Shell garage to me had problems at the time with water seeping into their underground holding tanks.
Formula Shell - Dave_TD
Eeeeee, I remember when that all kicked off... Wasn't it where the tanker drivers were slopping a bucket of additive into the tanker lorry before delivering it to the petrol station?
I'm sure they must have got their act together by now, certainly haven't heard of any similar scenarios since.
Formula Shell - Blue {P}
Eh?

Full story please! It sounds interesting but I'm too young to remember it! :}
Blue
Formula Shell - Dynamic Dave
Blue,

Goto google and type in "formula shell" (including the quotes) and do a UK search.
Formula Shell - John S
Blue Oval

Dave the taxi driver is right. For Formula Shell the 'magic' additive was added by the delivery driver at the petrol station, probably because the petrol didn't all come from Shell refineries. Problem was they didn't always get the quantity right. The result of overdosing was that it collected on the valve stems of engines, and those with closer valve/guide clearances (predominantly Vauxhall, but others were affected) ended up with sticking and burned out valves. The Police suffered with their cars, but were able to prove it was Shell petrol as they bought petrol on contract. Some other users were not so lucky and had to pay for repairs. Not surprisingly Formula Shell was quietly dropped.

Regards

John S
Formula Shell - Nortones2
I believe that additives are still manually added at refineries, so human error may still come into it. I have no current factual evidence on this however, but perhaps someone in the know could confirm or correct?