Mazda 6 - Mazda 6 cutting out - Mr_Jolly

Hi

I have a Mazda 6 diesel 53 plate that cuts out every now and then from start up. No warning just complete loss of power. I am not keen on paying the garage to have a look as no warning lights or any warnings what so ever.

Any advise would be very greatfully received.

:)

Mazda 6 - Mazda 6 cutting out - Jetjockey

Could be a few things such as a dirty or blocked diesel or air filter, However........

If you've checked the obvious then I would suspect the SCV (Suction Control Valve) which is attached to the diesel pump by two small allen screws. The symptoms range from cutting out, to poor starting, to rough idling, etc. All these are classic symptoms on the 2.0ltr diesel.

You will find countless threads on the internet about this and people have been paying up to £2000 to get the pump refurbished and refitted. Truth is, certain unscrupulous garage owners have been cleaning up and making a fortune on this one. I know of one local garage that recently refurbed the diesel pump and fitted 4 injectors for a customer at a cost of £2000 when all that was needed was the SCV (poor customer).

I believe the valve governs the amount of diesel fed to the high pressure pump.

Anyway, it's available for £160 delivered from TT Automotive in Loghborough. Bought one myself yesterday and was told they are selling 100 per month (yup)!!! Takes only 20 minutes to fit if you are a handyman. I just bought a scrapped 2004 Mazda 6 diesel after the owner was told the repair bill was going to be over £3K. I fitted the £160 valve and some new oil and filters and it's running like a watch.

Don't try to buy the part from Mazda, they will quote you £1600 for a new pump.

Hope this helps.