Kia Picanto 2004 - Help! Crankshaft sensor - Kirsten

I am in desperate need for some help please! I have a 2004 Kia Picanto with around 30 000 miles on the clock. I recently took it into a garage when it suddenly started juddering quite violently in all gears, eased only by lifting my foot off the accelerator. I was told the entire driveshaft needed reconditioning (all joints on both sides were worn apparently) which set me back £450. On the drive home from the garage the problem occurred again but worse, and I just managed to drive it home albeit very slowly!

The garage now reckon that a crankshaft sensor fault is causing an engine misfire. They say a replacement will cost £200+ with labour since the part needs to come from Kia and will take 2+ hours to fit.

My question is whether I am expected to pay for this? As far as I am concerned their work on the driveshaft was not essential (the symptoms clearly pointed to a misfire! There was never any noise when steering or problems with the gears) and a result of a misdiagnosis. Can I expect them to replace and fix the sensor for free? I paid them to fix my car, which they haven't!

I would be very grateful for any advice you can give me, this is an absolute nightmare!

Kirsten

Kia Picanto 2004 - Help! Crankshaft sensor - Rich320d

Their original diagnosis was wrong, so they should fix the original fault. I'd be looking for a refund. 30k miles seems low to have driveshaft problems, unless you drive like an animal, always up the kerb or in ditch!

Are they a dealer or an independent garage? I'd advise speaking to the manager/owner and if they cant sort this out to your satisfaction seek some legal advise, either Citizens Advice or you might have some free with your house or car insurance.

Dont pay any more money.

Kia Picanto 2004 - Help! Crankshaft sensor - 1litregolfeater

Typically sensors like this cost ten or twenty quid but are hidden around the back of the engine , maybe under the starter motor.

So £20 + two hours @£90 = £200.

I'd look for a friendlier garage, no excuse for rates like that in a time of depression and decline.