Fines for parking on private property - James Mitchell

This weekend I took my son and 3 of his friends to the cinema, on my way there the heavens opened & it began to snow very heavily it was actually as bad as any blizzard I had seen (and I'm not exaggerating). I decided to park the car close to the train station and walk to the cinema from there as I didn't want to stay on the road for any longer than I absolutely needed to. Upon returning to where the car was parked I discovered it had been towed away. It cost me £550 to get the car back! I am currently in the process of appealing the fine and have taken a picture of one of the signs which state it is private property which is covered in snow. I plan to take the firm to a small claims court if I am not re-imbursed but wondered if you had any pointers/tips for the process.

Many thanks.

JM

Edited by James Mitchell on 20/12/2010 at 11:28

Fines for parking on private property - LucyBC
You need a map of the area showing the positions of the signs and a photograph of the signs showing the wording.

The relevant case law is Vine -v- LB Waltham Forest which suggests that the signs have to be prominent and unmissable. There are also bits of case law surrounding what is, and what is not, "reasonable".

The route to take is to issue proceedings as you say. It is also worth checking the SIA register to be sure they are up to date and legal.