Ford Focus 2.0 tdci 2005/55 - stalling when driving - dh1983

I had the AA out twice to my car recently. The other day it cut out just before i was about to drive out the driveway, Now today i was driving along the road the the car lost power and slowed down, the revvs cut down to just below 1000rpm then the engine stalled or cut out,

Can anyone please advise what the problem might be, Ive had the egr value, Cam Crank sensor, checked they are ok so im told, also fuel and airfilter changed , Its only done 33k

no warning lights came on excpet the glowplug light flashed before it stalled!

Ford Focus 2.0 tdci 2005/55 - stalling when driving - gfewster

Cam sensor is most likely, but there are a few other things it can be - crank sensor, accelerator pedal, high pressure fuel pump, injector, etc.

Who checked them and told you they are ok? If a Ford Main Dealer, then I wouldn't attach any more importance to that than an assurance from the family cat.

One of the difficulties is that they don't always retain the fault codes, sometimes they clear them for no apparent reason. The flashing glowplug light indicates a fault code has been written, but doesn't necessarily mean it will still be there when checked with a code reader later on.

How / when does it come back to life? If it runs agains once allowed to cool, this indicates cam sensor - because when they are duff they become sensitive to heat. It is a hall-effect sensor and contains a semiconductor, the output voltage of which is sensitive to heat - so when the sensor is duff and is producing a voltage which is barely readable by the ECU, a bit of heat can push this voltage into unreadable territory.

Hope that helps. Cam sensor is 24 quid from dealer, so it's worth trying. You can fit it yourself in 2 minutes with only a 10mm socket and an 8mm socket. Please don't pay a garage to do it, this will make a little bit of my soul die. If you want a detailed walk-through then let me know and I'll post one.

Edited by gfewster on 15/12/2010 at 23:01

hey thanks for the reply gfewster, it was a toyota garage as the warranty is with them.

the AA have just towed it bk to the house until 2mrw when the garage opens to get it towed there, he still couldnt get it started! that was from 7pm until 11pm he tired a battery boasted too with no luck, he plugged in a fault reader but no error codes came up,

it has be guddering sometimes whilst driving too, feels like its about to run outta fuel is the only was i can describe it. happens for a few seconds then corrects itself. u can still accelerate through it when this happens though.

I would know where to start with replacing it, could i do further damage by replacing the unit?

cheers

It is under warranty with a dealer? Just send it back and tell them to fix it, don't worry about the details.

You can't damage a car by fitting a new camshaft sensor. You can waste £24 though, if it isn't the problem.

The juddering is normally a sticky EGR valve. You can't check the EGR while stationary, because it isn't operating. The only to fix it is to it apart and give it a good clean out. The easy diagnosis is to disconnect the EGR and see if the problem goes away (EGR is just an environmental thing, in the same manner as a catalytic converter - it is not actually necessary for the operation of the engine and is actually detrimental to performance).

Yeah the warranty is through the dealer but with a company called autocare, ive had it in 3 times for this guddering now each time i get charged 70quid as they cant find the problem ha! well its in again today got it towed from the house. not starting! they have left it over night on charge as they cant start it and dont wanna jump start it as they said it could damage the ECU.

So fingers crossed they find something wrong with it this time, I dont mind paying to get something fixed if the warranty doesnt cover it, just driving it then it cuts out is annoying now

Do you know what rights i have for a car that they cant fix if its under warranty? cheers.

How long have you had it? If less than six months then reject it under the sale of goods act. Post something on the Legal Matters forum and you'll get better advice on this.

Negotiate better with the garage. Tell them no fix = no payment. What does the garage say about the warranty? Tell them to just fix the damn car and then contact the warranty company for payment.... they sold you the warranty!

Another damning indictment of aftermarket warranties. They might cover replacing failed parts, but they don't cover diagnostics costs - and half the expense these days is diagnostics, because cars are so complex and dealers' "fitters" are so unskilled.

bought it in june this year from arnold clark garage in stirling, they say if they find a problem the warranty will pay, if thye dont they wont, just seems a con sometimes,

the costs just seem to be mounting up and and they cant find a problem. i hope something comes bk 2mrw with a problem.

Thank you i will post on there too

Ive been called to advising they have found the problem im told the diesel froze and there was a airlock in the fuel system and this caused the engine to stall, theyve sorted it im told and also replaced the battery as it was damaged from being started whilst they had it, they dont know why the glowplug light came on though, So i will find out tomorrow if they have solved the problem.

Does this sound genuine?