And the new Toadster is: - Toad, of Toad Hall.
A ?92 Rover 416Gsi.
110,000 miles
4 owners
Last owner had it 3 years.
10 months MOT.

Known problems:
Water leak in the boot.
Lights on buzzer doesn?t buzz.
Bodywork not ?as new?.

Apart from that it?s a gem.

I paid 400 quid. Plus I can use keep my roof bars which saves me 50 quid.

We must have looked at over 30 cars between 500 and 1500 quid. (Cavs, Mondeos, a 318, an Alfa 164, a golf!) This was the best by a large margin and cheapest by an large margin.

Was quite stressful weekend. We started looking at 2pm on Friday and didn?t decide on the Rover ?till Lunchtime Sunday so at one point I really thought I was going to be carless this week.

Also got the best reason for sale I?ve ever heard when I called a K plate Cav 1.8 at a grand:

Me: So why are you selling it?
Him: I bought it six weeks ago and it?s given me nothing but trouble. Frankly, I?ll be glad to see the back of it.

Whichever way you look at it that is a genuine reason for sale.

Thanks to all for help advice and assistance.

Couple of questions on the Rover:
Is the cam belt change tricky on the 1.6? Will it need pulleys etc?
Is it worth draining and re-filling the water? I?m surely more likely to introduce an air lock than suffer damage by not bothering?

--
These are my own opinions, and not necessarily those of all Toads.
And the new Toadster is: - Soupytwist
Quite disarming frankness from the Cav owner there, I suspect he may have some trouble shifting it with sales patter like that !

Any more gems from the more "budget" end of the market ?

Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.
Best reason for not buying - Paul Robinson
Following your 'best reason for selling' comment:

The best reason I've ever had for not buying was from a guy who had left a deposit on my Subaru, but later phoned to say 'I can't buy it because my wife had been to her medium, who has told her I must not buy a red car'!
Best reason for not buying - Mark (RLBS)
I can just hear the frustration in the Cav owner's ear.
And the new Toadster is: - wemyss
Toad, Your inept Cav seller reminds me of when I was selling a caravan some years ago.
Spiv type turned up, looked all over the van and then he sat with me inside the caravan with a coffee in our hands.
Nice day and we exchanged tales and he went on to tell me that he was a buyer and seller with a quick turnover with cars and caravans.
Much profit in it ? I asked.
Looking round as if he may be overhead he told me confidentially all the ways and scams he used to buy cheaply, and how naive and believing people were when he pointed out what was wrong with what they were trying to sell.
I encouraged him and admired his shrewdness and business acumen and he positively glowed at my praise.
Coffee finished and down to business.
"Which particular ploy you going to use on me I asked."
He stared at me and I could almost see his brain (what little he had) turning over.
"No way mate, gonna give you what you’re asking it’s well worth it". (It wasn’t)
Entrepreneur of the year ???.

And the new Toadster is: - joe
Go on then, what were his methods?
And the new Toadster is: - Dwight Van Driver
Toad

A very simple question. What is the colour of the new Toadmobile and did this influence you at all?

DVD
And the new Toadster is: - Toad, of Toad Hall.
A very simple question. What is the colour of the new
Toadmobile and did this influence you at all?

It\'s british racing green.

Colour was not even the slightest factor in the decision.

Out of the 30 odd cars it was the only honest clean car that drove well and appeared to have no noticable mechanical woes.

It tends to be the fairer sex who rate colour of a car above the fact that it\'s had 15 owners in one year and pulls badly to the left and is covered in stone chips.

Cooincidently BRG is my favorite colour for a car even though it clashes badly with my green warty skin!
--
These are my own opinions, and not necessarily those of all Toads.