Chrysler voyager - Tyre mix - 4wheelsonmywagon

Is it legal to put a pair of 235/75/15 on one axle and a pair of 215/65/15 on the other?

Chrysler voyager - Tyre mix - Mike H
Unlikely, probably against construction & use regulations. The tyres would have totally different characteristics. For a start, the the 235/75 would have a vastly different rolling radius to the 215/65.
Chrysler voyager - Tyre mix - SlidingPillar

As far as I know, quite legal. But I've only ever seen such things done on cars far more exotic than a Chrysler Voyager.

Usually done to balance out handling in highly powered cars. Makes the issue of a spare rather interesting.

Edited by SlidingPillar on 23/11/2010 at 16:32

Thanks for replies. The bigger tyres are left over from sale of a Toyota 4-Runner (Surf) and I wasn't sure if I could use them as winter back-up rather than buy more 215/65s seeing as I dont use the Voyager much and dont want to spend money on it if avoidable. The other option is to sell the 235/75s on ebay. Presumably an MOT station would know if its legal to use them as I suggested, so how do they/anyone know? Is there not a website that shows exactly which tyre combinations are legally permissible? If I did mix them should the bigger ones go on the back?

Chrysler voyager - Tyre mix - bathtub tom

Why don't you speak to your insurance company? They may refuse to cover you with such a combination, legal or not.

Chrysler voyager - Tyre mix - SlidingPillar
I think Tom is right - they will refuse to cover.

The cases I referred to will either be exotica insured at exotic prices and as left the manufacturer or much modified cars where the whole package has been considered and effectively insured on an individual basis.

The combination may work, or may be quite lethal. I still think it is legal mind you, but if stopped, I think you'd be on a hiding to nothing.

Something is not making sense here. If the combination is legal surely it must be safe. Equally, if it is not safe, it must be illegal. So where exactly are the rules defining which combinations of tyres are permitted? Or are you saying that the law permits tyre combinations that are unsafe? When you say "if stopped" do you mean stopped by police? If the combination is legal why would I be on a hiding to nothing?

Edited by 4wheelsonmywagon on 24/11/2010 at 22:41