Omega 2.5 V6 breather/oil leak - Ian J
Many thanks to Stuart and Crombster for their help, Decided to bite the bullit and change the cam cover seals - they are expensive for a bit of rubber. Glad I did though because there was quite a lot of oil in the spark plug trench between the cams particularly on the drivers side bank. Replacing the seals on the passengers side was more difficult - patiently working to position the cables and pipes away from the cam cover enables the cam cover to go underneath reasonably easily when you have done so. By the way the screw in the plastic breather unit was covered by a plastic tray with the ecotec symbol on it - you can use a screw driver to lever it off to expose the screw. Soaking the breather unit in petrol removed the gunge. I found removing and replacing the fuel rail quite tricky - very nervous of dropping a bolt on removal and refitting. I would be interested in how Crombster or anyone else did it. You were right it is quite a time consuming but ultimately a very rewarding job. Any one know what a main dealer would charge.
Many thanks again
Kind Regards
Ian
Omega 2.5 V6 breather/oil leak - robert
How much gunge was in the breather unit @ how many miles has the engine done?

I'd also be interested in which bit of the breather you cleaned as it appears to be in two parts - the longer part (with the ecotec symbol on) ,and the bit in front which it connects to - which on the newer 3.0's is longer and has two screw heads on.

In antcipation.

Robert
Omega 2.5 V6 breather/oil leak - Ian J
Robert, quite a lot it was blocked. The small bore rubber pipe from the right drivers side bank of the engine to the back of the plastic breather unit was also blocked up; 85000 miles. I cleaned all of it, In my case the bit in front (metal) is the throttle housing attached to the inlet mainifold with 4 torx screws.
Kind Regards
Ian
Omega 2.5 V6 breather/oil leak - robert
Thanks for that. The four pipes seem held on with small clips - it looks easy enough to get them off but there isn't much length to play with for cleaning out the insides if they are blocked up.

My car has done 84k so its something I have been thinking of doing for a while now & havn't got round to it yet.

regards ,,,,,,,, Robert