2003 Petrol Mondeo - Oily things - Ethan Edwards

My colleague (honest it's not me) has no idea about cars. He noticed a few weeks ago his Oil light coming on 'when he went around a corner'. Two weeks later he filled the car up with oil.

However initially he filled up the Power steering fluid reservoir with Engine oil. Now he has actually topped up the engine with oil. so the 'funny noise' and red light have stopped. But hasn't drained the steering oil/fluid mix from his power steering system and is still driving around in it !

What hilarity can he expect ? I suggested it might rot the seals in his steering rack and cause leaks. I also think he's terminally 'ball hooked' up his engine.

My not too reputable (but practical) advice was 'sell it on quick in an auction' before it falls apart around him. He has kept it though. What does the panel think will fall apart first? Frankly I'm astonished it's still chugging along OK...kudos Ford!

2003 Petrol Mondeo - Oily things - Peter D

The steering fluid will require a complete change before the engine oil starts to make the seals swell and stiffen the steering. What damage he has done to the engine if difficult to tell. Does it sound normal. Regards Peter

2003 Petrol Mondeo - Oily things - tdc

Have you followed behind his car,does it smoke?Don`t follow too close,if it goes bang the front of your car wont look pretty!

If I remember correctly from my engine-building days it`s only some turbo and other highly-stressed performance engines which have oil jets squirting on underside of pistons for cooling and lubrication.That means on his engine it will depend if there was enough in the sump for the crank webs to fling oil up the bores,clearly there wasn`t enough for the oil pump pick up in the sump under cornering.He can expect even higher oil consumption from worn/glazed bores,worn pistons and stuck rings from piston alloy pick-up.

12 years ago I bought a dirt cheap LDV200 2L Perkins EX-PO,didn`t even bother going to view,had it delivered.Was told engine was shot,saw oil was only just on dipstick,engine turned over ok so struck it up and stopped it immediately,could hear a small-end rattle.Had a good Maestro engine so swopped over engine plates,brackets,timing gear,pumps,sump etc and had a very good van.

Expect your colleague may end up with a rod through the block as have seen with a few neglected or blocked oilways/pump drive failure Vauxhalls.He should be able to pick up a cheap Mondeo engine,so as long as he hasn`t trashed the rest of the car it may be worth doing but personally I would just go and buy another car.

2003 Petrol Mondeo - Oily things - Ethan Edwards

Thanks guys. He tells me it's running fine. If it does implode I'll post it. I will mention the steering to him.

Cheers,

2003 Petrol Mondeo - Oily things - tdc

Ok.Just tell him not to be fooled if his engine suddenly starts to run more smoothly than it used to.Paradoxically this can happen just before the big seizure&blow-up!!