VW Passat - battery removal - John C.

Can anyone advise of any in the removal and installation of the battery on my VW Passat in regards to any problems I might encounter with the computer etc.

Thanks

VW Passat - battery removal - quizman

I changed the battery in my Passat. Never again, what a job.

You have to take the panel off below the windscreen, it wouldn't move so I gave it a nudge with a screwdriver. The windscreen cracked!

I ended up paying someone to change the battery and get a new windscreen.

There were no problems with the computer though.

VW Passat - battery removal - Coady1uk

Hi everybody, first post so go easy.

To change the battery on a Passat you need to:-

1. Pull of the weather seal that goes along the back of the engine bay

2. Remove the plenum cover. That's the large plastic panel covering the battery, pollen filter, etc

3. Undo battery leads and clamp

4. Unclip wiring harness from plenum chamber to make room for battery to come out

5. Lift battery up and towards the pollen filter. The battery comes out at an angle as the plenum widens over the pollen filter.

6. Fit new battery in the time honoured reverse order

The battery is heavy and a bit awkward to manouver but it worked on my Passat.

No need to remove the panel at the base of the windscreen

Hope this helps.

VW Passat - battery removal - Coady1uk

I should have noted my Passat is 04.

VW Passat - battery removal - quizman
>>>Lift battery up and towards the pollen filter. The battery comes out at an angle as the plenum widens over the pollen filter.

It wouldn't come out like this in my Passat. And I tried really hard.
VW Passat - battery removal - Railroad.

VW obviously weren't considering health and safety when they chose the location for the battery on a Passat. To change one would put your back out, and anyone with any sense would use a lifting crane. Most people however don't have access to one, which makes this all the more ridiculous.....