Does the public think all dealers are scam artists - anauel

I have started a car company (small, just my dad and myself for now) and have been reading on this site that there are a lot of the public not happy about the way dealers deal with problems? I have sold about 30 cars in the last year and had 3 come backs which I have fixed at my expense with no questions asked.

I find it funny that people ask for a honest, responsible customer focused dealer and when I tell about what I do and have done for clients in the past no one believes me?

I started my business for the passion of cars (thats my slogan by the way) not for the money....dont get me wrong I need to make a profit to live, but still I get weired looks when I tell people exactly what a car has gone through (parts changed, serviced, where it came from etc) almost as if I am hiding something?

As someone once said: be carefull what you ask for, you might just get it.

Does the public think all dealers are scam artists - dieseldogg
Anaue,
Believe it or not, I have, on occassion defended car dealers, who seem to be regarded as "fair game" when trading in a car.
Anyway, word of mouth will work for you same as it does for small independant dealers in our locality
cheers
m

Thanks for that, so there is light at the end of the tunnel.........I myself get soooooo angry when clients come to me and tell me they paid £100's for a service that only costs about £30.

Another question if I may, are there any real "mechanics" left in England? I dont mean glorified part fitters, I mean guys (and girls) who will take a part out and see if it can be fixed before replacing it?

Perfect example: 05 micra windscreen washer stoped working, took the bumper off to check the bottle was ok and tested the motor. There was a small plastic nozel that had broken off so I glued it back on and it works perfectly now.......total cost £80 (for 2 hours labour) cost of a new wash motor - about £20 - 50 depending on where you get one.

Does the public think all dealers are scam artists - Paul G1pdc

a FEW dealers would have rung the customer and mentioned the problem saying do you want a new one for £50 and i'll have to wait a few days to get the part. Or i can glue the old one....most main dealers will just replace the broken part with a new one, then you get a warrenty on the new part, and also charge you for the rubber gloves and cleaning agent they used to clean the part. and another charge for throwing the old one away...hahaha and the £120/hr labour rate...

I use a village garage...3 chaps all over 50 years old for the past 8 years they all have dirty hands (manager/owner included) the recepts are covered in black finger marks (car seats are covered in plastic covers...thank god) and the labour rate is good. I bring in my service kit, they fit it, and make any comments about items that might need looking at, and tyre and brake ware. Compaired to main dealers I'm pleased with the friendly service and talk to the guy whose just worked on mine and my wifes car. Rather that some dolly in the main dealer who apart from dating a mechanic doesn't know whats been done on your car apart from what it says on the P.C or job card....and when questioned doesn't know any answers...My bill is written by hand, and I'd don't get offered any filtered coffee or sit on a comfy sofa and watch SKY TV....i like knowing that my money is paying for my car not for the "customer waiting room"

The thing with dealers and scams seem to come from ex-employees talking on the radio/tv about what used to go on, and profit targets ie the usual...charge for oil filter, but just give the old one a clean with thinners/wd40. etc etc... I've got guys here at work who spend 2-300 pounds on a car service,,,when you ask whats been done..."oh all the fluids"....have a look at the bill...and its oil....(priced by the litre)...oil filter..ant-freeze...and topping up windscreen bottles....how much profit.....when you say how are the brakes/tyres etc. etc....oh i don't know they don't tell me that.....but they did wash it....woooopy doooo the Poles at my Tesco will do that for a 5er...if you can't be bothered to use a bucket of water yourself....

I've had main dealers service my cars in the past...(because i though my car would be worth more with a main dealer history) one over fill the car with oil...blowing a seal. another forgot to tighten up the sump nut, another damaged the doors on one car.(hit the ramp sir) and yet another cracked a wheel trim.....(whist on the test drive) when i owned a rs fiesta i saw my car driving like a bat outta hell.....was told it was on a test drive.....chat to manger resulted in a free service....but never again...........

just my ramblings not to be taken toooo seriously.........

Paul.

Does the public think all dealers are scam artists - Armstrong Sid

I think you could be carving out a bit of a niche for yourself as a decent, knowedgeable dealer. It won't happen overnight, but if people discover you really are honest, trustworthy and know what you are talking about, eventually word will get around and you'll get return business.

Combining that with the fact that you seem to have the ability to fix "complicated" problems at a low price, surely you wlll have them queuing outside your door before long.

BTW, where are you? People on this forum might start to use your services

Does the public think all dealers are scam artists - Dutchie

Excellent story you deserve all the success what comes to you.Of course you have to make a living,there are good people out there.

Thanks for all the replys, I really do hope some of the bigger dealers start to wake up and see that with out the customer service = less customers = closed down business? Or is that to simple (or hard for some people to understand)

I am based in West Sussex and operate out of a shed that I rent.

Not sure if I am allowed to put my web site address here so wont untill I know I can.

Does the public think all dealers are scam artists - Sofa Spud

I assume that a lot of dealers are basically honest and don't set out to rip people off.

But we're taught 'buyer beware' when either buying a car or paying to have it fixed or serviced. Because there is the opportunity for a dealer to rip people off, people are suspicious.

However, dealers want to make as much as is reasonably possible on a sale, while buyers obviously want to get a car as cheap as they can. So there will always be conflict in that area.

Does the public think all dealers are scam artists - Avant

Hi Anauel

I'm sorry that we can't allow free advertising on here, simply because if we allowed it once everyone would want to do it too. But I wish you luck in your business and I hope you do as well as you deserve, Word of mouth is what will do it for you.

Does the public think all dealers are scam artists - richard price

Hi - Shame you are a little to far away for me I live in Bognor Regis found you via a searh engine. Best of luck.

Richard