Citroen c5 2.0 HDI VTR - Wheezing noise - jonnyc500

Hello, i've recently bought my C5 2.0 HDI VTR which has a wheezing noise, the garage i bought it from pinpointed the noise as the alternator using a stethoscope, since then a friend has heard the noise and thinks it could be the turbo.

The noise occurs everytime the engine is reved up, either in or out of gear.

I disputed the fact the 2.0 HDI VTR model even has a turbo and still think it is the alternator

Can anybody tell me if A) the car even has a turbo and B) what you think the noise could be.

Hope you can help

Jonny

Edited by Avant on 12/09/2010 at 21:05

Citroen c5 2.0 HDI VTR - Wheezing noise - SteveLee

I'd be very surprised if there's a non-turbo C5 diesel, otherwise a 2 litre diesel would produce about 90 bhp and clatter like a tin bath of spanners in the process.

Edited by Avant on 12/09/2010 at 21:05

Citroen c5 2.0 HDI VTR - Wheezing noise - Paul G1pdc

just read this, and at the time there was a c5 advert on the right of the text for the exact model the orignal poster was talking about. the one for sale (14k) said 140hp. so will have the turbo.

paul.

Citroen c5 2.0 HDI VTR - Wheezing noise - Armstrong Sid

I disputed the fact the 2.0 HDI VTR model even has a turbo

Surely a simple solution is to look under the bonnet and find out

Citroen c5 2.0 HDI VTR - Wheezing noise - nick74

In fairness its not always that easy to spot them. On my Xsara 2.0 HDi you couldn't see the turbo at all from above. Jack the front of the car up, remove the engine under tray, crawl underneath, shine a torch somewhere between the exhaust downpipe, the steering rack and coolant pipes and if you knew where to look, and what you were looking for, you could just make out part of the turbo. Admittedly the C5 engine bay isn't quite as crowded as the Xsaras, but still...

For the record though, all HDi engines have turbos.