2006 VW Golf GLS - Strange Vibrations - cait-sith

I purchased a used 2006 VW Golf MK4 GLS (2.0L gasoline, Canadian) from a VW dealer last month. Recently I've noticed there is a strange vibration in the pedals and shifter. The clutch starts to vibrate around 1200 RPM. The gas pedal starts around 1800 RPM. The shifter starts around 2200 RPM. They vibrate through the rest of the engine's RPM range. The vibrations occur in any gear, or even when the car is stationary and in neutral. They appear to only be dependant on engine RPM.

I took it to the dealer and, of course, the mechanic "felt nothing unusual." I got the shop foreman to look at it, and he agreed it's not normal. They booked another appointment, and the tech gave the same diagnosis -- "vibrations confirmed, normal" This is not normal, the car didn't do this when I first bought it, and I wouldn't have bought it if it did!

Any ideas? Or, any suggestions on getting VW service to actually take me seriously? I'm at my wits end here.

2006 VW Golf GLS - Strange Vibrations - Collos25

If its as bad as you infer and it is dependent on rpm then it sounds like a clutch fault I would tend to think from the description of the vibration that it is a gearbox bearing.Could be one of the two or both in the worst case scenario, but you need to take it to an independant garage for an unbiased opinion.

2006 VW Golf GLS - Strange Vibrations - Peter D

You do not provide an engine code which is on the service book or the ID label in the boot. This engine may be fitted with a dual mass flywheel and the vibrations you detail match a typical failing DMF. Regards Peter

2.0 2001–2006 I4 8V AEG/AZJ/AZH 1984 cc 85 kW (116 PS; 114 hp) @ 5400 rpm 172 N·m (127 lb·ft) @ 3200 rpm

It's either AEG, AZJ, or AZH. I'm not entirely sure where to find the actual code. Did either of these use a DMF? I can't find information on which engines used which flywheel type online.

From what I've been reading, it sounds like it could possibly be this, (vibration around 2000 RPM, failures around 80 000 km) though the shop foreman was thinking it's the engine mounts.

Interestingly enough, if you rev the car up to something over 3000 RPM while in neutral and then release the accelerator, the car will shudder as it passes through 1800 RPM, every time.

Edited by cait-sith on 04/09/2010 at 10:29

I had the hood open today and had a friend rev through from idle to redline. I noticed there is a distinct ticking or clicking sound, almost could be grinding. As you rev harder, it gets louder and faster.

I suggest you post this on www.vwaudiforum.co.uk in the appropriate section. Regards Peter

Checking part numbers then the AEG engine has a DMF. Regards Peter

Thanks Peter.

I've posted all over the place. The consensus seems to be either a motor mount or the dual-mass flywheel.

The problem now, is, how do I get the dealership to take this seriously and actually diagnose/fix the problem?

2006 VW Golf GLS - Strange Vibrations - Will-Mk4

Replace coils and spark plugs maybe?

sounds like misfire to me surely mechanic would pick up on that?