£7.5k to spend on a large estate or MPV - HELP!! - Cartos

I have a £7.5k budget available and due to an ever increasing family (currently 5 plus dog, likely to be 6 before too long), we need a change around in cars. I have a BMW Z4 (which I've been told has to go!), my considerably better half has a 52 plate Passat estate with 100k on the clock.

We need something that is going to be reliable, economical, not too many miles on te clock and comfortable for long journeys (I travel a lot with work and we travel a fair bit at the weekends too as a family).

Any help or suggestions really welcomed!

£7.5k to spend on a large estate or MPV - HELP!! - tyro

If large and reliable are priorities, then the obvious estate at that budget is a Honda Accord, though a Toyota Avensis or Mazda6 would also be possibilities. You can get a 2007 diesel one at under £7k.

Comfortable is in the eye (or back) of the beholder, so try one out.

To be honest, I wouldn't worry too much about the number of miles that it has on the clock, as long as it is in good condition.

£7.5k to spend on a large estate or MPV - HELP!! - Avant

If the Passat is coming up for eight years old, it won't be worth much in the market, so if it's going well why not keep it until it goes expensively wrong, or your family becomes six, whichever is the sooner!

If no. 6 is imminent, then maybe look for a people carrier such as a Toyota Verso or Mazda 5, or a big Kia if you want something large and cheap. Don't go for a used diesel unless your mileage is very high: many diesels are prone to expensive failure as they get older.

Either way you should be able to get away with keeping the Z4 for when you're driving alone.