Motability cars and DPF filters? - wazza

If you have a new diesel car on the motability scheme and your DPF filter clogs up because you only drive locally and can't be cleared on a long run meaning a trip to the dealer who will foot the bill? If it is a manufacturer's problem then they will but this problem only occurs if you don't use the car properly so in a way it is your fault the DPF got clogged.

Looking at the cars available on the motability website for disabled drivers there is a large selection of diesel cars. Nowadays to meet emissions majority of diesels come with DPF (Diesel Particulate Filters) fitted. They are not suitable for those who drive locally, school runs etc because it has been reported that they clog up. They are ideal for those who at least once a week go on a motorway/long distance where the exhaust can get very hot and clear the filter.

If the filter clogs up and can't be cleared by a long drive at high revs then it is a visit to a garage ending up with a large bill. Dealers should ask you about your driving style and recommend a petrol version if the car is only used locally. Some brochure have this warning but as a small print hidden away.

Motability cars and DPF filters? - Andy P

I think it's down to the buyer, not the dealer to decide whether a car is fit for purpose or not. The information is out there and doesn't take much effort to find. If you buy a car, then subsequently find out it's not what you wanted, who's fault is that?

A car is the second most expensive purchase most people make, yet the majority seem to care more about the options list and what colour it is.

Motability cars and DPF filters? - dieselnut

Most people who frequent this & other motoring forums keep up to date with developments in vehicles & so know about DPF's etc.

99% of car buyers will have never heard of a DPF & so won't have a clue what they are getting into.

DPF equiped cars have limitations which should be clearly highlighted to potential buyers & not hidden away in the small print.

Perhaps the time has come for your visit to the showroom to start by sitting at the new computer terminal he has installed, fill in the questionaire about use, driving style, requirements etc & at the end a list of suitable cars will be printed.

Ignore it at your peril.

Motability cars and DPF filters? - bathtub tom

>>99% of car buyers will have never heard of a DPF & so won't have a clue what they are getting into.

I wonder what percentage of car salesmen are similarly 'clued up'? Many, I'm sure, are only interested in how many cars they can sell regardless of suitability for the customer.

Motability cars and DPF filters? - Dutchie

We drive a motability car a diesel with a dpf filter (focus).Mostly town runs.Interesting to find out if there is a problem with the filter what the dealer would say.When we got the car which we chose i knew there was a filter,the saleslady was happy for us to have the car i dont think she had any idea about this filter the majority of salespeople dont.They sell the car and most of them havent got a clue regarding the mechanical aspect of a car.I had a word with a mechanic at fords and the 1.6 engine we have causes no problems even at short runs.The 2.0 liter ford did, they had to sort out a problem for a customer and it was done free of charge.So i wouldt worry anybody who drives a disability car with this filter and there is a problem the dealer will sort it out .If anybody has a problem with a motability car regarding this filter ie.paying for repairs.Ring motability it will soon be sorted out.

Motability cars and DPF filters? - Dutchie

To follow up on this subject regarding buying a car from a dealer.Iwas often surprised how little salespeople know about the cars they selling.I remember when we bought the mitsubishi space star and the salesmanager went with us for a test drive.I was asking him questions about the car and he didt have any clue either. I had more knowledge than he did all he was on about playing golf and his handicap.(strange).