Toyota Previa 2.4i 1995 petrol uk model - no power on hard acceleration - fitterman2

accelerate slowly and it goes fine 110mph but while driving if u accelerate hard its flat with no power and sounds like there aint a air filter in it, on tick over sounds like it has a slight misfire, i ave changed the plugs and fuel filter but still no joy, if u are standing still and rev it it will rev to 4000rpm then goes flat and back to the wierd sound of no air filter, desperatly need help

Toyota Previa 2.4i 1995 petrol uk model - no power on hard acceleration - strobe

as you are accelerating hard and it goes flat ...if you back off can you feel it sort of jump back to "normal" or does the fault remain right back until idle ? if it does jump as you back off then look at the high tension system supplying the spark plugs it sounds to me like there is a breakdown of the insulation somewhere this is often evidenced by burn marks on the sections around the plugs or white powdery tacks

on the 2TZ-FE MODEL with a distributor pay close attention inside it and in particular the rotor which can break down through the centre

more likely leads you probably have one gone and another folowing but always use insulated tools as a shock off this side of the system can be fatal

Toyota Previa 2.4i 1995 petrol uk model - no power on hard acceleration - fitterman2

now replaced fuel filter, spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor arm and still the same, getting a lovely spark at plugs, but still flat, do these suffer from any air intake problems???

Toyota Previa 2.4i 1995 petrol uk model - no power on hard acceleration - StanTheMan78

I'd go with strobe here - HT leads are most likely cause! Testing at idle won't simulate the fault as at high loads there will be higher compression due to higher air/fuel amounts in the cylinders and therefore the spark will need much higher voltage than at idling. The misfire you are experiencing is the most unmistakable symptom pointing to this fault. I'd change the HT leads - anything else I'd suspect appears to have been replaced already.

Toyota Previa 2.4i 1995 petrol uk model - no power on hard acceleration - Enginostics

I have read the problems you are having with the Previa. From what you have described the problem to be, the following, in the order listed, is what I would do/check initially:

1) I would replace all ignition components. I have found this to be good practice on vehicles of that age and vehicles that run the old distributor and rotor arm systems.

This would include:

Spark plugs (NGK) - HT Leads - Distributor Cap - Rotor arm

2) Check for any air/vacuum leaks/blockage around the air intake and throttle body. Also check the exhaust system for blockage/leaks.

3) Make sure the throttle valve is not sticking or damaged. Check linkage and cable too.

4) Using a scope, check the input/output signal at the idle control valve.

5) Check the fuel system for a good healthy flow rate and pressure. Check the fuel pressure regulator.

6) Using a four channel scope, measure the signals at the injectors.

Hope this is useful or at least you know what needs to be checked: you can pass this info to your local garage to have them test what is listed.

Good luck

Edited by Avant on 24/08/2010 at 23:12