Michael - 14th place in Budapest quali - oilrag

I was saddened for him that he hasn`t been able to make a better comeback. Do you think that he will be able to develop next years car to more suit his style? Or has he made a mistake in the comeback?

Can anyone remember if his race performances were falling off in the season prior to retirement?

Any predictions for his place in tommorows race?

Michael - 14th place in Budapest quali - Collos25

Does anyone really care.

Michael - 14th place in Budapest quali - Armstrong Sid
I think it proves what I've always thought about Grand Prix, it's down to the car more than the driver.

You can be the best driver around, but if you you are in a car which is underpeforming, you aren't going to be able to win much

MS was "lucky" in the past in that he was a very good driver who's time happened to coincide with a team who had a very good car. If, a few years ago, he'd been for example a Williams driver would he have won so many races?

I'm sure there are quite a few drivers out there today who could be at the front if they were also in the Red Bull cars; and equally there are some who would be further towards the back if they weren't in such a good car
Michael - 14th place in Budapest quali - Dutchie

I must admit iam getting a bit bored with Grand Prix racing watching it on the tely.Michael schumacher had his day.It is about the car but schumacher was good in the wet as they say kept his car on the road and also very aggresive did't give a inch.Now 125 cc motorbike racing is a different kettle of fish very exciting but not often seen on the television.

Michael - 14th place in Budapest quali - Jonesy127

You can be the best driver around, but if you you are in a car which is underpeforming, you aren't going to be able to win much

Try telling Stirling Moss that, who one at Monaco in a car 30 Bhp down on the rest of the field!

Michael - 14th place in Budapest quali - demulv

I hate Schumacher as much as the next man (especially after what happened yesterday), but I have to concede that technically he's pretty amazing.

At both Benetton and Ferrari, he started his tenure at the team with a poorly performing car, yet through constant technical feedback and working with the engineers, he would provide them with the information they needed to develop the car as he saw fit. If the car performed poorly during a race, then rather than throw his toys out the pram and sulk back to his villa in Monaco, Schumacher would instead sit down with his engineers and relentlessly pour over the telemetry data to see what could be done to improve things. As a result, he left both teams as championship winners.

OK, there's also the small matter of Benetton and Ferrari also having the geniuses of Rory Byrne and Ross Brawn on their staff books, but they can only be so effective without appropriate feedback from their driver.

Schumacher's performance this season has been rubbish, but this is way too soon to write him off - for two reasons:

1. It's very likely that the resources which should have been used developing this year's car in 2009 were instead shifted to improving the 2009 Brawn in pursuit of winning that year's championship. Therefore the 2010 car has been under-developed as a result. The same reason why McLaren were rubbish in 2009 after winning the 2008 championship.
  2. The 2010 car was not developed with Schumacher in mind, who has a very different driving style to the then driver Button (see tinyurl.com/3adavjk).

It wouldn't surprise me if Brawn/Mercedes have already started to shift resources from developing the 2010 car to the 2011 car, with Schumacher's feedback throughout the design process.

If the 2011 season turns out to be equally bad for the red (or should that be silver now?) baron, then it really was a mistake for him to return.

Michael - 14th place in Budapest quali - Avant

I'm sure AS is right. They all look the same (the cars I mean, not the drivers) which is why watching motor racing isn't nearly as much fun as it was when I was young: but there clearly are differences which I don't think could be explained by a driver's 'form'.

F1 cars have always looked this the same - it's the nature of the sport that the general shape is determined by the most efficient shape that that time's technology dictates.

With the obvious exception of the 6 wheel Tyrrell and the odd fan car, this has always been the case. Look at the 1967 season. The Lotus 49, Brabham BT24, Eagle-Westlake...all were essentially cigar-shaped with even width tyres.

Then came 1968 and someone found you could create downforce with a wing; hey presto!, they all ended up looking the same.

As for the car determining the win, not the driver; was it a coincidence that the 50s Mercedes' dominated because they had great drivers? Or was it because, like now, they happened to be the best car?

Also, if pace is purley down to the car, how come Badoer and Fisichella did so badly in Massa's vacant Ferrari seat last season?

Michael - 14th place in Budapest quali - rtj70

They were not allowed to try driving the car at any time apart from in the races themselves. Otherwise it would be classed as test driving and that is banned in season. The car obviously handled differently to what they were used to.

Badoer was the test driver!!

Michael - 14th place in Budapest quali - Manatee

A point that has been overlooked here is that MS has been eclipsed by Rosberg, in an identical car. He is not as good as he was when he retired.

Michael - 14th place in Budapest quali - Armstrong Sid
Interesting to see that Herr Schumacher has now apologised for his manoeuvre against Barrichello and now admits that it was a bad error of judgement
(see various news websites)