BMW 5 Series E60 - Mis-sold a car - Nelly_Boy

I bought a second hand BMW 5 series from an authorised dealer last year (07 plate). At the time the salesman infromed me the car came with run flat tyres and as there was no spare wheel or inflation device provided I assumed this to be correct.

I've recently discovered the tyres are not run flat (when I got a puncture!) and feel that I was mis-sold the car. I'm no car expert and wouldn't necessarily know what to look for in identifying whether a tyre is run flat or not. In any case as I was buying from an approved dealership I believed what was being said to me at the time.

Unfortunately there is no paper work to back this up so its my word against the saleman. I have contacted the dealership in question and demanded that they replace the tyres but they don't seem overly concerned and aren't being too helpful. Do I have any grounds to take this further (possibly through the small claims court)? Or continue to push the dealership for further compensation?

Any advice greatfully received.

Thanks

BMW 5 Series E60 - Mis-sold a car - ablandy

Pursuing the dealer in this will prove largely fruitless, as you say it is his word against yours. If it was in writing, then fine.

However, were run-flats a standard fit on that make and model of car when new or were they an optio?. If standard fit, then it could be argued it would be reasonable to expect them to be fitted and you have could a better chance.

BUT, time (and mileage) would be a factor. How many miles have you done since you bought it ?- because the tyre wear would be a factor. At best in a fair world you could get them to fit new run flats, but you would have to pay a percentage to cover the wear you would have put on them. If you have replaced tyres since you have had the car (excluding the puncture) forget it.

As always, a reasoned letter to the dealer principle is the way to go. And dont forget, salespeople sometimes just say yes!

BMW 5 Series E60 - Mis-sold a car - idle_chatterer

I'm pretty sure that run-flats would have been standard original fitment on an E60. Also there's a symbol on the tyres (a small RFT in a circle is one derivative of this but there are others) so you could arguably have checked at the time had you known this.

However, I think that some owners replace runflats with non-runflats due to ride quality.

On my SE spec E91 330d I find the 17" runflats to be reasonably compliant but I suspect that M-Sport derivatives with 18" or 19" wheels will be somewhat less-so, hence the rationale for changing to non-runflats?